TP-Link Deco M5 Wi-Fi system | Review
The need for technological advancement has seen TP-Link join the bandwagon of the production of entire-home wireless internet systems. TP-Link’s release of Deco M5 Wi-Fi System aims as providing homes with fast, robust and secure Wi-Fi systems at a pocket-friendly price.
The Wi-Fi system is also loaded with additional features which make the management of the home-network an effortless task. Although Deco M5 Wi-Fi System offers many networking benefits, it has a few drawbacks as you are going to learn here.
Nevertheless, the system is generally a worthy buy. Are you wondering why you should buy a home a Home Wi-Fi System? Well, let’s address that first.
Benefits of Buying Home Wi-Fi System
TP-Link Deco M5 Wi-Fi system – Features & Benefits
- Design: Just like many other Wi-Fi systems, TP-Link Deco M5 is small and has a quad-core processor for strong, fast and wide-range connections. The system has two bands, including 2.4GHz and 5 GHz, offering Wi-Fi connection speeds to a maximum of 400 Mbps and 867 Mbps, respectively. The design of this wireless system also features four internal antennas, Bluetooth (to assist in the installation) as well as two Gigabit Ethernet ports (for Ethernet connections). The standard Deco M5 pack contains three units and comes with one USB type-C adapter for effortless powering. All the routers in the unit perform and look the same.
- Easy Setup: Netgear Nighthawk offers a DOCSIS 3.0 internet connection. This means that it offers 8 times better download speed than DOCSIS 2.0. It is, therefore, ideal for faster download, HD streaming, and gaming.
- Easy Setup: It takes less than ten minutes to have the system up and running, courtesy of Deco application which offers an easy-to-follow visual guide. Download the app for free to your Wi-Fi enabled tablet or Smartphone and create a Tp-link account by following the given instructions. With the account, the rest of the procedure is a piece of cake. Plug in one of the three routers of the system to a source of internet and then put the other two units approximately 40 feet from the first one. The unit connected to the internet source functions as a router while the other two perform as satellite units. The link formed by the three units offers a fast, strong and wide-coverage wireless network.
- Speed & Performance: A quad-core processor powers every unit of M5 system while the powerful internal antennas intelligently direct the signals to a large area for Wi-Fi coverage. The routers in the system are AC1300, therefore, they can offer fast wireless connection speeds to a maximum of 400Mbps and 867Mbp on the 2.4GHz and 5 GHz bands, respectively. The routers support beamforming technology, meaning that they communicate signals right to the Wi-Fi clients instead of sending the waves over a broad spectrum. The system offers faster Wi-Fi speeds as compared to the majority of home broadband connections.
- Wi-Fi Coverage: The units in Deco M5 work together to offer ultra-fast Wi-Fi in all areas of your house. A one-unit Deco offers a maximum Wi-Fi coverage of 1,500 square feet while a 3-unit system offers Wi-Fi that covers a maximum range of 4,500 square feet, offering wireless connection speeds of over 100Mbps. The Wi-Fi coverage can be altered by changing the positions of the units, hence the distances between them. Nevertheless, it is worth noting that increasing the Wi-Fi coverage reduces the Wi-Fi speed. Therefore, it is advisable to apply the most convenient balance.
- Additional Features: The Deco mobile application enables you to can see the status of every unit of the system including the details of the last test of Internet speed as well as the number of connected devices. You can use the Wi-Fi settings to rename your network, change the password, create guest access accounts and conceal the SSID.
- Parental control: The parental control allows you to create network account for every member of your family and apply one filter from the four provided to restrict the access of certain websites and content that you find inappropriate to certain users. For instance, you can select Child filter level to prevent your kids from accessing social networks, websites containing adult content, sex education, gambling as well downloading files and online gambling. You can also use the control to pause the Internet at certain times such as during dinner or bed time.
- Antivirus: TP-Link Deco M5 Wi-Fi system also comes with Trend Micro’s Antivirus together with Malware protection to guard your whole network against online threats. The antivirus always checks if the internet traffic of your home network has suspicious patterns, prevents the scanning of the ports and transmission of signals by the infected IoT devices to anonymous sites. The antivirus screen shows the number of days that the network has been protected. The screen has switches which enable or disable the filtering of malicious content, protection against intrusion as well as quarantining of the compromised devices. You can see the history of the detected intrusions and websites or web contents that have been blocked by the antivirus by tapping the antivirus screens’ top-right icon.
- ART: Deco M5 Wi-Fi system the Adaptive Routing Technology (ART) developed by TP-Link to optimize your network’s throughput by automatically selecting the best radio band for your network devices.
- Quality of Service: The Wi-Fi system also has Quality of Service for prioritizing internet traffic for various internet uses and devices. Deco M5 allows you to prioritize the online activities and devices that are important to you for sufficient internet bandwidth allocation.
- Warranty and support: Deco M5 Wi-Fi system comes with a two year warranty to give you confidence in your purchase. You’ll also have 24/7 limitless technical support in case you need any assistance regarding the Wi-Fi system such as installation help.
What We Liked?
- Excellent Wi-Fi performance- the system offers faster wireless connections as compared to other home broadband networks. .
- Its installation is extremely easy and fast, thanks to the Deco app.
- The inbuilt anti-malware and antivirus feature ensures that your entire network is always secure from online malicious intrusion and threats. .
What We Didn’t?
- You’ll have to pay for the antivirus protection after three years if you still need the services. App-Only Interface.
- The system has only three units.
- If you aren’t comfortable with having a typical router-extender in your home network and planning to have a Wi-Fi system for your entire home, then TP-Link Deco M5 Wi-Fi System has you covered. Besides, dealing with dead spots is a task that this new Wi-Fi system will perform effortlessly. Besides offering you a strong, fast wireless network that covers every part of your entire home, Deco M5 ensures that your network is always secure from viruses and other online threats. Avoid the struggle of installation of wires associated with the setting up of wired connections for your home network by installing this system within just a few minutes.