Motorola MR1700 AC1700 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router Full Review 2021
After a long time, Motorola came up with an excellent, stylish and under the budget router named Motorola MR1700. Truly an amazing router.
Searching Motorola MR1700 AC1700 Router Full Review? Motorola MR1700 is dual-band and 802.11ac WiFI standard router. It has four Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports for connecting multiple wired devices to it. It has six external antennas in which four for the 2.4GHz band. It is considered that the 2.4Ghz frequency band is better for long-range than 5Ghz.
- 1700Mbps WiFi Throughput
- 6x Adjustable External Antennas
- Dual-core Processor
- Automatic Traffic Prioritization
Pros & Cons of Motorola MR1700:
- 4x adjustable external antennas for the 2.4Ghz band out of six.
- Comes with a Quick Start Guide for installation.
- User-friendly QoS feature for multiple devices’ management.
- Great range and coverage on 2.4GHz bands.
- 2-years of warranty.
I don’t like:
- Just like D-link DIR-867, it doesn’t have any USB port.
It is an excellent router in terms of performance, range, and coverage. Its wireless performance is incredible when used with multiple devices at the same time. Trust me, this router has an outstanding range, which you can’t expect from the high-end and more expensive router.
What’s inside the box:
When you unbox it, you will see four items there.
- Motorola Wireless Router
- One Power adapter (varies by country)
- One Gigabit Ethernet Cable (Yellow one)
- Quick user Guide & manuals
The design of the router looks premium in black color with a matte finish. It has six external antennas on the side which make this router a bit bigger. A logo (‘M’ character) of Motorola in the center. It is entirely different from competitors as it has only a single status light than an array of several.
On the back side (left to right), You will see a power Jack, one Gigabit Ethernet WAN port (Rj45 black one), four Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports (Yellow ones), and reset button on the right side. As you can see, there are no USB ports.
The MR1700 is equipped with a powerful Dual-core processor. It can deliver maximum combined speeds of up to 1700Mbps. Where 2.4Ghz band delivers 800Mbps and 5Ghz up to 867Mbps (Note: connected device should be 5Ghz band compatible). The router using the latest ‘ac‘ standard. However, it is also compatible with backward standards ‘b/a/g/n’.
Installation is straightforward as it comes with a well-instructed user manual
You can install the router in a few simple steps:
- First, we need to connect your modem or in-built network to the WAN port of the router via the Ethernet Cable (that yellow one).
- Now turn off your modem (If you are using a modem) for 10 seconds at least, then turn on.
- Turn on the MR1700 router (plug in the power adapter into the electric outlet)
- After the third step, you will notice your router’s status light is turned on (A solid amber color) for about 40-50 seconds. (It should be solid, not blinking).
Parental Controls: How To Set Up
‘Parental Controls’ feature is one of the most important features that routers offer. It allows you to set the time limit of the internet to specific devices. Using it, you can control your and block certain websites. Its setup process is quite simple. You just have to log into the configuration manager.
Below is a screenshot of Parental controls settings:
Guest Network: How To Set Up
Guest Network is very important while sharing the internet connection with your friends or guests. It keeps your connection private and personal. Like Parental Control, you have to log into the configuration manager in order to set this thing up.
You can enable this feature using both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequency band as you can see in the following image. It can be enabled; when you click the button next to the desired band, even you can change its “Network name” and “Password” after enabling. Then click save button.
Take a look at how it looks like:
- Dimensions: (5.4 x 8.4 x 1.4) inches
- Weight: 14.6 Ounce
- Model Number: MR1700
- Bands: Dual-band
- Ports: 4x Gigabit Ethernet LAN Ports, 1x WAN port
- Frequency: 2.4Ghz & 5GHz
- Antennas: 6x Adjustable external Antennas (four for the 2.4Ghz band)
Some Tips: How to Improve Wireless Performance
The router performance can depend on many factors. Here are some common tips for you.
- Make sure; you place this router somewhere in the central place of your house.
- Try to avoid those wireless devices (Microwave ovens, Bluetooth headsets, cordless phone, Etc.) which use the same 2.4GHz frequency band. In results, they reduce the overall performance and range of the router. So, they should be far away from the router.
- keep the firmware up-to-date so that you can enjoy the latest features and security.
Troubleshooting: Let’s Address Some Most Common Issues
- Why can’t I connect after installing my router?
- Connection keeps dropping and slow.
- What are my MR1700’s WiFi SSID and password?
Why I can’t connect even after installing my router?
1.1 Make sure that the connection between the power outlet and the power jack is tight or plugged in correctly. In other words, all cables to the router should be connected properly, or you should re-connect all the cables in order to fix this issue.
Why does my connection keep dropping and slow?
You need to place your router in the center position of your house and should be far away from other wireless devices that use the same 2.4Ghz frequency.
What are my MR1700’s WiFi SSID and password?
You can find both the things on the bottom of the router; there must be a printed label. They are default values (SSID & Password) of your router. You can use those ID and Password unless you changed them. In case you if forget those value after changing, you have to go for a factory reset process. For that, you have to press and hold the reset button (back panel) for at least eight seconds.
Competitor: Which are the main rivals to Motorola MR1700?
However, the MR1700 has an ability to beat them in terms of price, performance, and even range.
The following image shows you how MR1700 performs against its competitors. Here I am comparing it with R6700 and R7000.