Comparing The Motorola Modems Arris SURFboard SB6141 vs SB6121 vs SB6183
- The Arris Motorola SURFboard SB6141 is a stylish little upright standing modem that is ideal for turbo boost and it allows for bonding of 8 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels.
- The Arris Motorola SURFboard SB6121 has basically the same design as the afore mentioned modems but only allows for bonding of 4 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels.
- The Arris Motorola SURFboard SB6183 looks a lot like the 6141 but allows for bonding of 16 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels.
When only considering these features, it is obvious that the SB6183 is superior regarding power but that is not the only factor to consider.
Arris SURFboard SB6141 vs SB6121 vs SB6183 : Reviewed
Arris Motorola SURFboard SB6141 : Best Overall
This modem only works on Cable internet so you would have to make sure with your provider whether they are cable or not. A wi-fi router and VOIP adapter for your phone is not included in the package. It is attuned to major CABLE internet service providers in the USA.
It also supports the latest internet standard, this being IPv4 and IPv6.Connecting to the power of DOCSIS 3.0 technology it bonds to up to 8 downstream and 4 downstream channels which means it can provide you with multimedia services and depending on your service provider supplies up to 343 Megabytes per second download and 131 Megabytes per second upload. The Brown Box models are not valid for this modem. US based customers have a two year warranty.
Arris Motorola SURFboard SB6121 : Best Budget
This modem only works on Cable internet so you would have to make sure with your provider whether they are cable or not, as with the previously mentioned models. A wifi router an VOIP adapter for your phone is not included in the package. It has a gigabit Ethernet port that can easily be connected to your computer or router for faster downloads.
It is compatible to most major cable operators but not Verizon FiOS and AT&T U-verse.The internet speed will be based on the service from your cable provider but you could get up to 172 Mbps download and 131 Mbps upload. By connecting to the power of DOCSIS 3.0 technology it only bonds to 4 downstream and 4 upstream channels. It is still okay for gaming and video streaming.
Arris Motorola SURFboard SB6183 : For High Speed Internet
This modem only works on Cable internet so you would have to make sure with your provider whether they are cable or not. A wifi router and VOIP adapter for your phone is not included in the package. It has a gigabit Ethernet port that can easily be connected to your computer or router for faster downloads. It is compatible to all major cable operators. It work beautifully for playing games on more than one device and for streaming HD videos.
The Brown Box models are not valid for this modem. US based customers have a two year warranty. By connecting to the power of DOCSIS 3.0 technology it bonds to up to 16 downstream and 4 upstream channels but having so many channels might be overdoing it unless required by your service provider. With the streaming and gaming benefits (faster than the other 2 mentioned here) you may still decide that this is the modem for you.
Benefits of having a Cable Modem
- Cable modems are generally quicker than dial-up. Also, while using your cable modem, you do not occupy your phone lines. With a cable modem there is no need to dial in for connection as your connection is ‘always on’, which translates to quicker checking of the net at any time because there is no time wasted by info retrieval.
- The cable version also downloads information much faster than its counterpart. Even though DSL has succeeded in making their download speeds faster, cable modems still reign supreme.
- Cable modems are not at all affected by the distance it has to travel and the signal does not lose power the further away it moves meaning anyone connected to any substation has the same quality of signal no matter how far they are.
- DSL is also widely considered to be less reliable than cable modems because of this fact and also because they work on old and outdated infrastructure. Cable has a more dependable quality in its connection.
- When using a cable modem, you will not have service that is continually interrupted and no external static can enter your cable due to an outer layer that blocks noise from entering the line. The less interruptions you have, the more productive you are more than likely to be.
Comparison Table : Arris SURFboard SB6141 vs SB6121 Vs SB6183
|Name||ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem||Arris SURFboard SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem||ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem|
|Editor Ratings||(4.3 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(4.5 / 5)|
|Download Speed||343 Mbps||172 Mbps||686 Mbps|
|Standard||802.11 AC||N/a||802.11 AC|
|Bands||Dual Band||Dual Band||Dual Band|
|Ethernet Ports||2 – Gigabit Ethernet Ports – 10/100/1000 Mbps||1 Ethernet Port||2 – Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps|
|channels||8 downstream and 4 upstream||4 downstream and 4 upstream||16 download & 4 upload|
|Supports||IPv4 and IPv6||IPv4||IPv4 and IPv6|
- In the end, it is all up to what you prefer and what you need but the majority of users vote the SB6141 as the most practical as it is powerful enough for the day to day user with all the necessities. The SURFboard SB6183 is considered a bit over the top but it does enable multi game playing if you are into that.
- The Arris SURFboard SB6121 receive many positive reviews, it is great for basic users that do not require better than lightening fast internet connection although it does offer very good speed too.