Netgear R6230 AC1200 Smart WiFi Router Full Review 2021
After R6700, the Netgear’s R6230 is another dual-band wireless router under 100$. It is one of the most sold routers. Why?
The R6230 is a smart WiFi dual-band router. It is ‘ac’ standard router and also supports backward standards 802.11 b/a/g/n. It has two external antennas for strong WiFi coverage and range. It is feature-packed with beamforming+ technology. Nighthawk app its setup easy and straightforward.
- Advanced QoS
- Nighthawk App
- Beamforming+ Technology
- Dual-band Gigabit
Pros and Cons: Netgear R6230
- Simultaneous dual-band reduces interference between devices.
- Advanced QoS lets you enjoy multiple devices at the same time.
- Gigabit Connectivity ensures faster-wired connection.
- Easy-to-setup using Nighthawk app.
- USA-based customer support.
I don’t like:
- It doesn’t have a USB 3.0 port.
The R6230 is an excellent option for those who are looking for a budget-friendly router with some great features. Under $60, You can’t get better than this. I can recommend this router to home users without any second thought.
What is inside the box: let’s unpack it
The box includes three items:
- One Gigabit Ethernet Cable
- Power Adapter ( Plus, Quick start guide )
As you see in the following picture:
Design & Hardware Overview:
Nighthawk keeps on changing their router’s design with time and model. In R6230’s case, You can say it is an excellent looking router with a compact design.
On the front side, you will see nine LEDs along with the Netgear’s logo. If we start from left-right, It has a power LED on the left, Internet LED which lets you know about the internet connectivity.
A WiFi LED refers to operated wireless radio bands (2.4Ghz & 5Ghz). Four Identical looking LED’s for the Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports ( solid green when it in use ). A USB LED ( It will solid green when it is connected”). A WPS LED shows the status of a WPS-enabled device.
On the back side: The busy back Panel contains the following: Buttons, Connectors, and Ports. Plus, two adjustable antennas.
- WPS Button: Using this button you can connect your WPS-enabled devices to it.
- WiFi On/Off: This button turns the WiFI on and off, just need to press for two seconds.
- USB port: It allows you to connect a USB device and other devices like printers, hard disk, Etc.
- LAN ports: These four LAN ports let you connect your wired devices to them via Gigabit RJ-45 Ethernet cable.
- WAN port: A single WAN port for connecting a modem to it via that yellow Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45 cable.
- Reset Button: It resets the router. You have to press and hold the button for at least seven seconds and wait for the solid green light.
- Power On/Off: This button provides power to the router.
- Power Connector: Here you connect the power adapter which you get with the router.
Where to find Login Information:
You can find SSID (WiFI network name), password (Network key), serial number and MAC address on the label of the router.
The R6230 uses the lastest WiFI standard and technology 802.11AC with maximum combined speeds of up to 1200Mbps ( 300Mbps using 2.4Ghz and 900Mbps Using 5Ghz band ). It has a powerful 880Mhz processor with 128MB NAND Flash and 128MB of DDR3 RAM.
Moreover, It comes with an advanced QoS (Quality Of Service) feature for multiple HD streaming and smooth experience on connected devices at the same time. It supports IPV6 version which ensures improved performance than IPV4.
It is a backup software for all windows computer. In order to use it, you have to connect a USB hard disk to it for the automatic backup. It is compatible with all the windows operating systems’ version ( windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10). You can read more about ReadySHARE vault and download here.
You can get more out of it using the Netgear Nighthawk app. It can easily set up your router with it. It makes the installation process quite easy and can be done in a few steps.
It has an intuitive dashboard which lets you pause and resume the internet on any connected devices. It is also packed with Internet speed test feature. It is available for both Android and iPhone users.
How to setup: Netgear R6230 AC1200
In order to set it up, you have to follow four simple steps:
- First, you need to turn off the modem. And, remove the battery if your modem using one. Now, connect your modem to the wall jack.
- Second, turn on your modem and put the battery again.
- Now, connect the modem to the router’s WAN port (a yellow one) via the Ethernet cable which comes with the router.
- It’s time to power up the router using the power adapter and wait for the LED light. If it doesn’t light, then press the Power On/Off button, which on the back side of the router.
Now, you can use two methods a wired or WiFi in order to connect to its network. Read Users manual here.
The Nighthawk R6700, TP-Link’s archer c9, Motorola’s MR1700 and D-Link’s DIR 867 are some rivals to the R6230. However, the prices of these routers are different. That’s why they make a big difference. You can compare on your own and choose according to your requirement and needs. For that, I have created separate pages for each one.