D-Link Wireless AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (DIR-880L) Review
D-Link is one of the major networking companies in the world they have always stayed updated with their competition in making high-end network devices, now they have stepped into the premium line of routers with the D-Link Wireless AC1900 Dual Band Routewhich is better known as the D-Link DIR-880L.
This router has been long awaited as it comes in the top end bracket of routers manufactured by the company, the premium 802.11ac router is sold at an affordable price and is packed with a set of useful features and a modern user interface.
What Makes This Product Stand Out?
The D-Link DIR-880L delivers a whooping speed of 600n + 1300ac which is 1900 Mbps in total, they have scrapped their signature UI with a new and modern interface that makes managing the router and the network settings quite easy. They has also integrated the device with updated technology like the Shareport and a parental cloud service, it has also shown a better performance in the 802.11n mode however the 802.11ac mode is quite average in terms of performance. It is ideal for people with large homes as the Dir 880 L delivers a staggering range of more than 300 feet.
- Excellent Wireless performance.
- Economically priced compared to rival routers.
- Easy to Install with D-link Setup Wizard.
- Attractive design available in both black and white colors.
Features and Their Benefits
- SmartBeaming Technology: The router has three large and elegant dual band antennas, this works better than most of their rival’s routers and adds to the useful features of the DIR-880L.
- USB Support: The router has one 3.0 USB port and another 2.0 USB port for sharing media devices or attaching a printer to the network, this is great as people can used two USB devices at once and it even supports the latest SharePort technology.
- Turbo QAM: This is a proprietary technology used to boost the 802.11n mode which use the 2.4 GHz band, if there is a turbo QAM compatible wireless receiver within the network the user can get a much better speed and efficient performance in the 802.11n mode.
- SharePort Technology: SharePort makes it possible to virtually share any USB device over your network, now the options are not limited to hard drives and printers alone users may attach any USB device and it will work as if it was attached to a computers USB port. This technology only allows one user to use the attached device at a time.
- Build and Design: The built design of the D-Link DIR-880L is a real style statement which is at par with the most attractive gadgets in the market, they have stepped out and made this router available in two colors one is their signature white color and the other one come with an elegant glossy black chassis to go with any living room design. The quality of the build is fantastic even though it is made of plastic, it is quite larger than its rival routers but it maintain a low profile and doesn’t grab too much attention.
- Speed & Range: The speed is quite impressive in the 802.11n mode, the total figure of 1900 Mbps proves to be more than sufficient for all home usages including gaming. The router performs well at the heavily crowed 2.4 GHz band and comes in at number two among 802.11ac routers.
Advantages of the D-Link DIR-880L Wireless AC1900
- Setup & Security: The Setup process has become extremely easy, all you have to do is connected the router to the computer with the provided Ethernet cable and the setup wizard will guide through the installation. It automatically detects the most appropriate settings, the default SSIDs can be found on a card which comes with the router. It also has some crucial features like parental controls and guest user access control and work on WPA/WPA2 wireless encryption for added security.
- Warranty & Support: All D-Link product come with a limited warranty of 1 year for the part and labor, in case of defective device they accept return for 45 days after the purchase and even provide replacements up to 1 year. The company also offers free 24/7 customer support for the first 90 days.
|Data Transfer Rate||1900 Mbps|
|Standard||802 11 AC|
|Operating System||Windows 7, Mac OS|
|Dimensions||9.75 x 7.5 x 1.5 inches|
|Wireless Type||802.11 A/C, 802.11 a/b/g/n|
D-Link has finally joined the race of making truly high end networking devices, the DIR-880L is taken quite seriously and a lot of work is put into it. Future firmware updates always promise some more optimization to its performance across all bands. It has created new performance benchmarks making it one of the most efficient router in term of speed, range and even pricing, if you want to buy a premium router without spending a lot of money the D-Link Wireless AC1900 Dual Band Router isthe best wireless router for you.