Last Updated on
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 5 Tri-Band Wireless Routers: Reviews, Ratings and Buyer’s Guide 2019
- 1.1 Best Tri-Band Wireless Routers For 2019
- 1.2 Comparison Chart For Tri-Band WiFi Routers:
- 1.3 1. NETGEAR (R8000-100NAS) Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router
- 1.4 2. NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 AD7200 802.11ac/ad Quad-Stream WiFi Router
- 1.5 3. TP-Link AC5400 Wireless Wi-Fi MU-MIMO Tri-Band Router
- 1.6 4. Linksys Max-Stream AC5400 MU-MIMO Tri-Band Wireless Smart WiFi Router (EA9500)
- 1.7 5. ASUS AC5300 Tri-Band WiFi Gaming Router (RT-AC5300)
- 1.8 Buying Guide
- 1.9 What is the difference? The Single-Band Vs Dual-Band Vs Tri-Band Routers.
- 1.10 All you need to know about the “Tri-Band” Router: Most common questions people asked – answered:
- 1.11 Conclusion
Top 5 Tri-Band Wireless Routers: Reviews, Ratings and Buyer’s Guide 2019
If you have searched the keyword “best tri-band wireless routers” in google, it means you are a heavy user, gamer or someone who is looking for a future-proof router.
Just like you, I also love streaming 4k videos and playing games. Being a gamer, I have to connect my multiple devices to the internet all the time. However, it sucks when the connection drops and irritates too.
Last year, my experience with a tri-band router was terrible. I paid $349.67 for a router, a product which was recommended by most of the giant websites. In the result, I wasted my time and money both as didn’t have any knowledge about wireless routers.
In 2019, I researched on my own, tested and experienced them for a while. Finally, my list of tri-band routers is complete:
Best Tri-Band Wireless Routers For 2019
Comparison Chart For Tri-Band WiFi Routers:
|Picture||Router Name||Max Speed||Ethernet Ports||Standards||Check Now!|
Netgear X6 AC3200 (R8000)
|Netgear X6 AC3200 (R8000)||3200 Mbps||4x Gigabit Ports||802.11 AC|
For A larger Home
NETGEAR Nighthawk X10
|NETGEAR Nighthawk X10||7200 Mbps||6x Gigabit Ports||802.11 AD|
Best For Home
|TP-Link AC5400||5400 Mbps||4x Gigabit Ports||802 11 AC|
For Multiple Devices
Linksys Max-Stream AC5400
|Linksys Max-Stream AC5400||5400 Mbps||8x Gigabit ports||802.11 AC|
The Gamers Choice
ASUS RT-AC5300 Tri-Band
|ASUS RT-AC5300 Tri-Band||5300 Mbps||4x Gigabit ports||802.11 AC|
Our top 5 tri-band routers list won’t be complete unless the Netgear X6 takes place. I have to take this router in the first position because 24,535 customers including me can’t be wrong.
The Netgear R8000 Nighthawk X6 is a tri-band, feature-packed, super-fast, reliable, and Amazon Alexa/Echo compatible router. As advertised, the fastest combined speeds up to 3.2Gbps (600Mbps on 2.4GGhz and 1300Ghz on 5Ghz), offering six high-performance antennas with robust amplifiers which are capable of delivering maximum range.
- It is a tri-band router, excellent performance, remarkable range & coverage.
- It has two USB ports: USB 2.0 and USB 3.0
- Six external fold-out antennas.
- A well-designed app called Genie app which makes setup quite easy and simple.
- It is an expensive model, but it is worth the money as it is the tri-band router.
- It doesn’t have an e-SATA port. (Though, I am not a big fan of this feature).
It is a versatile tri-band router and offering so many useful features at this price range. From design to the range, everything is top of the line.
The first runner up, I was confused between x6 and x10 as both are excellent routers. I have to put X10 in the second position because it is coming from AD standard which is a bit expensive if compared to the AC standard’s router. However, X10 is a future-proof router.
The Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 is a Quad-Stream router and using a powerful quad-core 1.7Ghz processor. It is lightning fast and capable of providing WiFi speeds up to 7.2 Gbps (4600Mbps ~ 60Ghz + 1733Mbps ~5Ghz + 800Mbps ~2.4Ghz). It has 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports. Streaming is going to be fast as it has MU-MIMO technology with beamforming+.
- 802.11AD standard router assures super-fast speeds.
- Plex media server for serving the media from NAS drive or of course, an external USB drive.
- Its Nighthawk app makes setup easy. The app allows bandwidth prioritization for better performance.
- It also has some additional DFS channels on 5GHz.
- Free unlimited amazon drive storage for six months.
- Its advanced features make this router pricy.
- The configuration of the X10 is straightforward using its app, but web interface though.
The x10 is one of the powerful routers on the market that offers a lot of advanced features. If speeds are concerned, X10 is three times faster than X6. I can recommend this router for those who are heavy users and want to buy a router for 4k streaming, VR gaming, etc.
The third router on our list, I didn’t have any problem taking this router at the 3rd position since the Netgear x6 and x10 deserve more respect than the archer AC5400. I let you know why so. However, Tp-links said Archer AC5400 is one of the most advanced and powerful routers they’ve ever built.
The Tp-Link AC5400 is a tri-band router which offers advanced technologies like MU-MIMO, beamforming+, NitroQam, and many more. With this router, you get speeds up to 5400Mbps. It has 8x external antennas for excellent coverage and powered by 1.4Ghz Dual-core Processor with 3 Co-Processors. However, it has only 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports along with 1X3.0 USB Port and 1X2.0 USB Port.
- It supports IFTTT and Alexa.
- An attractive and compact design.
- Its app makes setup quite easy with a great user interface.
- It’s built-in anti-virus tools and malware virus.
- Home care protection powered by Trend Micro.
- The MU-MIMO and Beamforming for handling multiple devices
- It has 4 Gigabit Ethernet Ports. It might be a problem if you have more wired devices.
No doubt! the Tp-Link archer AC5400 is a good router. It has everything which most people look for in an idea router. Lack of wired ports may be a problem with some people. Therefore, I can recommend this router for home users who don’t have more wired devices. If you are a gamer, then you should go with its cousin called Tp-Link Archer C5400X as it is built keeping the gamers in mind.
Last year in 2018, I didn’t include any Linksys router or brand. But this year in 2019’s list, I had to take Linksys Max-stream AC5400 at the fourth position, it is trendy and most sold router by Linksys.
Linksys designed AC5400 (EA9500) router as a multi-purpose WiFi router. The EA9500 is compatible with Amazon Alexa. It is a tri-band router, meaning an additional band is enough to eliminate buffering, you get the combined speeds up to 5.3Gbps (1000Mbps ~ 2.4Ghz, 2x2166Mbps ~ 5Ghz). Unlike Tp-link Archer AC5400, it has 8 Gigabit Ethernet Ports let us connect an array of wired devices.
- It supports seamless roaming, which allows you to extend the network.
- I didn’t face any problem while playing massive games and streaming 4k videos.
- It supports the MU-MIMO and Beamforming technology for better range & coverage.
- Smart WiFI App allows us to priortize our devices, and the parental controls ensure a safe internet experience for kids.le devices
- It is bulky, and design could be improved.
The Linksys AC5400 EA9500 router can deliver the fastest WiFi speeds on multiple devices at the same time for multiple users. It is a dual-purpose designed router, whether you use it for office or entertainment. It is a better option for your home or office.
The last place goes to Asus RT-AC5300 tri-band router, the only router on our list from Asus. After testing and using several years, I can say the Asus RT-5300 is a real rival to Tp-link x6 or x10.
The Asus AC5300 is a tri-band router. Like the Linksys EA9500, It also supports AiProtection network security which is powered by Trend Micro. Being a tri-band router, It has three bands (2x 5Ghz and one 2.4Ghz) with the AC standard for throughput up to 5334Mbps (2x2167Mbps~5Ghz and 1000Ghz~2.4Ghz) theoretically. It comes with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports for wired connections. You also get two USB ports (1x 3.0 USB and 1x 2.0 USB).
- High performance on both the bands 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.
- Like others, it also supports the MU-MIMO and Beamforming.
- Multiple management settings.
- Compatibility with Asus AiMesh, very useful if you use a home mesh WIFi network.
- Asus router app allows you to set up the router, manage traffic network, diagnose any connections issues, Etc.
- NitroQam Technology ensures smooth streaming.
- Built-in WTFast acceleration for gaming.
- Of course, an expensive model from Asus.
- It can’t be used as a bridge mode.
- File transfer speeds are slower even using USB 3.
The Asus RT-AC5300 is a fantastic router. If you are a gamer and stream 4k videos, you can go with this router without having any second thought. Its Adaptive QoS boost gaming bandwidth and allows to prioritize gaming activities and packets.
However, RT-AC5300 has only 4 Gigabit ports, which is a drawback of this router. Thus, Asus also introduced a gaming router and named “Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300”, it has 8x Gigabit Ethernet ports and a bit expensive than the standard one. ( https://www.amazon.com/streaming-Quad-Core-processor-AiProtection-GT-AC5300/dp/B071DPCKQ6 )
Before you buy any tri-band wireless router, I am requesting you to read this guide – which lets you know about a single-band, dual-band, and tri-band. Also, you will get to know the actual difference between them.
Here is what we’re going to discuss:
- What is a wireless band?
- What is the difference? The Single-Band Vs Dual-Band Vs Tri-Band Routers.
- What is a Single-Band Routers – Explained (a band of the past)
- Pros and Cons of Single-Band Routers
- What is a Double-Band Routers – Explained (a middle-ground)
- Pros and Cons of Dual-Band Routers
- What is a Tri-Band Routers – Explained (a band of the future)
- Pros and Cons of Tri-Band Routers
What is the difference? The Single-Band Vs Dual-Band Vs Tri-Band Routers.
First thing first, what is the wireless band?
Whether you say a frequency band or wireless band, it doesn’t matter as both things are the same. It is a process of transmitting wireless data. And to transfer the data, you need radio waves which can carry the data from a device to device and make communication between them. These radio waves use two frequencies: 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band.
Let’s start with a definition of all three bands:
1. Single-Band Router: The Definition
It is a thing of the past. You might have heard of IEEE, which stands for Electrical and Electronics Engineers, the Institute, they came up with an idea of wireless standards named “802.11”.
Single-Band name implies that it is capable of using only the 2.4Ghz frequency, and operates on the 802.11g standard. The “G” wireless standard was introduced in 2003, and its data speeds can reach up to 54Mbps.
The single-band routers can also operate on “N” standard. Theoretically, this “Wireless-N” standard router can offer speeds up to 900Mbps using the 2.4GHz frequency band.
Here are some pros and cons of the single-band router:
1. low-cost and affordable.
2. It works well with all newer devices as multiple-band devices can support old standards and 2.4Ghz frequency as well.
3. It is considered that lower frequency is good at any obstacles like doors, walls, etc.
1. Speeds are very low, and you get speeds up to 54Mbsp.
2. It causes a connection unstable and reduces WiFI speed.
3. Basic features like devices priority, connection monitoring, etc. are not possible with the single-band router.
The Dual-Band Routers: The Definition:
A router which can support two frequencies 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz simultaneously and operate on 802.11AC standard. Theoretically, the “AC” standard’s speeds can reach up to 5400Mbps using 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.
Newer Dual-band routers support some advanced technologies such as beamforming, MU-MIMO, Etc. These technologies improve speeds and interaction between multiple devices. If you want your router to pay attention to multiple devices like smartphones, smart TV, gaming console, etc., Then this MUMI technology is necessary.
Pros and Cons Of the dual-band routers:
1. Very popular and a better option at entry-level prices.
2. You get a solid, reliable and stable connection if compared to single-band.
3. Compatibility with all the newer devices which support 5Ghz frequency band.
4. It offers two times more bandwidth than single-band routers.
1. 5Ghz has not a good range if compared to 2.4Ghz. It happens most of the time when obstacles come across.
2. Speeds might vary in multiple connections if they all connected at once.
Tri-Band Routers: The Definition:
The band of the future. Why so? These tri-band routers are made to work with the 2.4Ghz band and two 5Ghz bands. That means, allowing you to connect multiple devices at once without any interference. Let me explain, Suppose you have two devices, for instance, a laptop and a smartphone which are connected to the same network and using lots of bandwidth at the same time, then tri-band comes into the game – your tri-band router will separate the network they are using and dedicates one 5 GHz band to the laptop and another one to the smartphone without any interference.
Pros and Cons of Tri-band Routers:
1. It has an additional 5Ghz wireless band, meaning capable of connecting multiple devices with less interference.
2. When your router has three bands, then you also get three times more bandwidth.
3. Fast internet speeds due to dedicated bands.
1. Expensive if compared to Dual-Band routers.
2. If you are not using multiple devices, then you might not notice any changes in speeds and performance.
All you need to know about the “Tri-Band” Router: Most common questions people asked – answered:
- What is a tri-band router for?
- What is the best tri-band wireless router?
- How do tri-band routers work? What is the point of tri-band router WiFi?
- Which WiFi band is better?
1. What is a tri-band router for?
If you are using multiple devices at once and having a problem in bandwidth, then you are in need of a tri-band router.
On the other hand, if you are not a heavy user or someone who doesn’t use multiple devices at the same time, it is not worth the money.
2. What is the best tri-band wireless router?
Well, it is tough to answer this question, though I have used several tri-band routers, so my recommendation is Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 – the Quad-Stream Wifi Router. It is also compatible with Amazon Alexa. However, if you are a gamer, then I would recommend TP-LINK Archer C5400X AC5400 Tri-Band Gigabit Router.
3. How do tri-band routers work? What is the point of tri-band router WiFi?
It is simple enough to understand. The Tri-band router is a router that can work on 2.4Ghz and two 5Ghz frequency bands. For example: If you are using two devices at the same that are using lots of bandwidth, so a tri-band router put each device onto a separate 5Ghz band. It means no interference between them.
4. Which WiFi band or frequency is better? Which is better for streaming? What is the best channel for 5GHz?
It depends on your needs. However, it is considered that the 2.4GHz band has a longer range if compared to 5Ghz. On the other hand, 2.4Ghz is not good at transmitting data as it is slow whereas 5Ghz can transmit data at faster speeds. Except for the range, 5Ghz is a better option if performance, streaming and transfer speeds are concerned.
Now the best channel for these frequencies: You can use Channels 1, 6, and 11 on 2.4Ghz. On 5Ghz frequency with 20Mhz, you can use channels
36, 40, 44,149,153,157,161, and with 40Mhz, you can go for 36-40, 44-48, 149-153,157-161.
If you are reading this conclusion, it means you have read this article entirely. Now, you might have noticed one thing which is common in all routers – the price. Yes, you also saw all the routers which complete the list of “best tri-band routers” are expensive and costs you around $300 to $400.
Therefore, I would like to advise you as a good friend, If you have a larger home, you usually connect more than five devices simultaneously, or if you are someone who wants a future-proof router, then there is no problem you can buy any router which I mentioned.
Otherwise, I would never recommend you to buy any tri-band router as there are some excellent Dual-band routers also available on the market, which are fast and worthy.