The 7 Best Routers Under 100 Dollars for 2018
People today are quite dependent on technology for their day to day lives, routers are one of the devices that have become crucial for homes and business for multiple reasons.
Wired networks are getting outdated quickly as everyone in the world is switching to wireless networks since wireless networks allow the user to connect multiple devices without the use of wires.
Today, there is a very large variety of routers available in the market and it is quite important to choose the router that suits your needs.
This article will give you valuable insight on how to choose Router under $100 according to your budget and needs.
Top Rated Wireless Routers Under $ 100: Comparison Table
|Router Name||Images||Features||Check Now!|
TP-Link AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router with Qualcomm Dual Core Processor (Archer C7)
| ||1.75Gbps total available bandwith, which includes 450Mbps at 2.4GHz and 1300Mbps at 5GHz|
3x External Antennas + 3x Internal Antennas.
4x Gigabit Ethernet ports + 1x Gigabit WAN port.
NETGEAR R6080-100NAS AC1000 Wireless Router
|AC WiFi compatible with current & future WiFi devices.|
Five (5) 10/100 Mbps fast Ethernet ports (1 WAN & 4 LAN) with auto-sensing technology.
NETGEAR® genie® home network manager includes remote access to manage your network away from home
Linksys EA6350 Wi-Fi Wireless Dual Band Router
|USB 3.0 port: USB 3.0 and Gigabit Ethernet ports.|
Up to 2.8 times faster than Wireless-N technology: Simultaneous dual-band speed up to N300 Mbps (2.4 GHz) + AC867 Mbps (5 GHz) for media-intense applications.
Faster transfer rates and ultimate media streaming with USB 3.0 and Gigabit Ethernet
ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router
|2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Concurrent Dual-Band Transmissions for Strong Signal Strength and Ultra-Fast Connection Rates up to 900Mbps|
Expanded Wireless Coverage with 3 Detachable High-Powered Antennas
Download Master for Wireless Data Storage and Access to Router-Connected USB Storage Devices
TP-Link Archer C9 AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
|Delivers blazing fast AC1900 speeds up to 1.9GBPS (600+1300 Mbps) for seamless 4K steaming and lag-free gaming.|
Easily share media w/ 1x USB 3.0 and 1x 2.0 ports to easily share printers, files, and media across your network.
Simultaneous 2.4GHz 600Mbps and 5GHz 1300Mbps connections for 1.9Gbps of total available bandwidth
Securifi Almond - (3 Minute Setup) Touchscreen WiFi Wireless Router / Range Extender / Access Point
|MULTI PURPOSE USAGE: Use as primary WiFi Router or Range Extender or Access Point or Wireless Bridge - No built-in DSL modem|
95% of customers SET IT UP IN 3 MINUTES using Touchscreen Wizard; World's 1st TOUCHSCREEN Router
NO PC/Mac/CD needed for Setup or Management
NETGEAR N750 Dual Band 4 Port Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (WNDR4300)
|Faster WiFi speed 300+450 – Up to 750 Mbps|
Range—For medium to large homes.
Secure WiFi connections—Highest level wireless security with WPA/WPA2.
Readyshare USB access—Wirelessly access & share USB hard drives via two (2) USB 2.0 port.
What To Know Before Buying?
While looking for an under 100 Dollars Router users must first check for all the basic features that a wireless router must have like Security Encryption, Ethernet Ports, and Wireless Access Point.
Now let take a look at some of the trending features and latest technology which is popular in the market today.
- Wi-Fi standard: Modern devices work on a new Wi-Fi standard called 802.11ac, it got approved in 2014 and is mostly seen in newer devices that were made after 2w014.
- Minimum Speed: Routers deliver different speeds on both the bands, it is ideal to have a router which is capable of delivering 300+ Mbps on a 2.4 GHz network, and 1300 or more on the 5 GHz network.
- Dual bands: It is crucial to have your router support dual bands, as it works well in reducing network congestion has 802.11ac runs on a 5 GHz network while all the other standards work on the 2.4 GHz network.
- USB Ports: Having a USB port on the router is very useful as it allows the users to connect other network devices like scanners and printers directly to the router itself.
It even supports a network attached storage when an external hard disk is attached, having a 3.0 USB will ensure optimum streaming speed over the network.
7 Best Wireless Routers Under $100 Fully Tested & Reviewed By Expert
Tp-Link has come out with a highly efficient router, the TP-LINK Archer C7 has all the necessary features and has proved to be the fastest router in this price range from the company.
The C7 router from Tp-Link also delivers excellent network coverage compared to the other variants in the same price range.
Let’s look at other features and details that make this Router The “Best Router under 100 Dollars”
The Archer C7 is packed with plenty of trending features, it covers a wider area than most of the routers that are sold at three times its price.
- Speed and Range: The Archer C7 router offers one of the fastest speeds in its range, with a total speed of 1750 Mbps it supports an average speed of around 75 Mbps on 2.5 GHz bands whereas on 5 GHz bands it managed to blow away all competition by delivering a speed of 500 + Mbps.
It also offered the most impressive range among the top routers in its class, this makes it ideal for gaming and HD streaming across the network. The performance of this router was found to be quite consistent across all the tests that were conducted.
- Sharing Features: The C7 router from Tp-Link supports network attached storage through two efficient USB ports, this enables the user to either share device like printers and scanner over the network or even share media from hard drives and stream directly to any device that is connected to the network.
- TP-LINK Tether App: The Company has come up with an innovative application to manage networks from Android or Apple smartphones, it has been made available to most of the latest routers made by Tp-Link.
It makes setting up the router extremely easy and also lets you monitor the users connected and block any unauthorized users. Users can even control the website the connected users can access and for how long, this is ideal for parents who want to keep a track on their child’s internet usage.
- Easy Setup and Security: This router is quite easy to set up because of the new Tether App, it simply lets you create an SSID and Password within few minutes of the first use.
It supports the latest security encryption for networks which are WPA/WPA2, the router also gives the option to allow or block certain websites and users.
- Archer C7 is a good match for internet users who need to connect too many devices to their networks, thanks to it ultrafast theoretical Wi-Fi speeds of up to 1.75Gbps.
- It has two USB ports for effortless media transfer over your network.
- It comes with two USB ports for easy media transfer across your network.
- It’s three powerful external and internal antennas also significantly improve the speed of sharing of media as well as the conduct of bandwidth-intensive tasks such as online gaming.
- It has an IP-based bandwidth control which for effective allocation of bandwidth to devices according to the priorities of the users.
Reasons to Buy
- Many people including experts and advanced users have admitted that the Archer C7 is the best router under 100, there are other more powerful variants that this router has outperformed during testing.
- It offers all the necessary features like the Dual band, USB Ports and Network attach storage support, we would recommend this router to anyone who is looking for a router that performs better than its expensive variants.
This means that you can rely on this AC1000 router for fast and uninterrupted connections whenever you’re online.
- Heavy Performance: The high-performing Netgear AC1000 can support data transfer speeds of up to 1000 Mbps. This is largely thanks to its dual Wi-Fi band technology which provides multiple access points.
The AC1000 comes fitted with a 2.5 GHz band that provides speeds of up to 300 Mbps and a 5 GHz Wi-Fi band that provides speeds of up to 700 Mbps. With these speeds, the AC1000 can be used for data-intensive tasks such as gaming, HD streaming and downloading large files.
- Internet Speed: With dual Wi-Fi band capabilities, the Netgear AC1000 guarantees excellent internet strength, Wi-Fi range, and super downloads speeds. The AC1000 provides speeds of up to 1000 Mbps which gives users consistent, reliable connections and fast speeds. This means that you can go on with your online activities smoothly and without any lags across your multiple devices.
- Wi-Fi Range: Due to the unique designs of homes and offices, the Netgear AC1000 was fitted with adjustable external antennas. These antennas can be detached and adjusted to face the direction of your devices to distribute Wi-Fi signals more efficiently.
The adjustability of the antennas combined with the strong Wi-Fi signals gives the AC1000 better Wi-Fi coverage as long as you’re within range.
- Additional Features: There are many additional features included in the Netgear AC1000, and I’ll name a few. For starters, there is the adjustable and detachable antenna that helps direct the Wi-Fi signals to the direction you want.
Secondly, the AC1000 can be controlled remotely. This is largely thanks to its Netgear Genie App which is available on both the Android and iOS platforms. Once you install the Genie App on your phone, you can remotely access your wireless router. You can set up, manage and configure the Netgear to your liking.
Other features you can expect with the Netgear include a preprogrammed security encryption protocol and firewall to protect your files and wireless home network from hackers and other malicious attacks. Lastly, the AC1000 router allows the parents to restrict internet access to their kids as they see fit.
- Fast Wi-Fi connection with speeds of up to 1000 Mbps (300 + 700).
- Supports the addition of guest network to limit access to your files and private home or office network.
- Can be upgraded to support new AC devices.
- Compatible with all Wireless-N and Wireless-AC devices.
- Supported by Netgear Genie App which allows remote access to the router.
- Encryption and firewalls for enhanced security.
- Dual Wi-Fi band for better connections and reduced interruptions.
- Allows parental controls and restrictions.
- Supports multiple HD streaming.
- Comes equipped with multiple Ethernet ports.
- Adjustable and detachable external antennas for better Wi-Fi range.
Reasons to Buy
- The Netgear AC1000 is a cheap wireless router that guarantees you high-quality performance whether you are streaming HD videos or playing online games. It provides excellent Wi-Fi range and great reliability no matter which corner of the house or office you’re located.
The Linksys EA6350 is a highly recommended AC1200 router establishing fast and secure internet connections across all your devices. If you are home, you can play online games and stream HD videos across multiple devices, and if you are in the office, you can interconnect multiple devices and transfer huge files securely and in no time.
- High Speed: The Linksys EA6350 router is all about fast connections for gaming, streaming, downloading as well as file sharing. Just as with the C9, the Linksys router is fitted with a dual 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands for fast and uninterrupted internet usage.
The dual Wi-Fi bands are fitted with Wireless-AC tech that supports speeds of up to 1200 Mbps, which is 2.8 times faster than the conventional Wireless-N tech.
- Beamforming: The Beamforming technology on the Linksys router is an innovative piece of technology that is designed to strengthen communication between your devices and the router. This technology works by only sending out signals towards the direction of the connected Wi-Fi devices instead of sending out signals aimlessly in every direction. The Beamforming technology not only results in stronger connections but also results in faster download speeds, uninterrupted connections, and better Wi-Fi range.
- Additional Features: The EA6350 features adjustable external antennas that allow for optimal positioning depending on the direction of your devices. What’s more, parents can set up restrictions to control the online activities of their kids.
What’s more, this router comes equipped with an SPI firewall and WPA/WPA2 encryption protocol to protect your files and Wi-Fi network from malicious attacks. Lastly, the Linksys router allows the admin to create a guest network that limits the guests’ access to your Wi-Fi Network.
- Easy Setup: Setting up the AC1200+ is a simple process that doesn’t require a complicated CD installation method. All you need to do is connect it to your internet modem, turn it on, then connect it to your computer and lastly configure it to the Linksys secure network as provided in the instruction manual provided with the router.
- Delivers a combined speed of up to 1200 Mbps on its dual-band platform.
- Users can choose between a supercharged wired (Ethernet) internet connection and the more convenient wireless connection.
- Fast USB 3.0 ports included for extra connectivity and faster file sharing.
- Comes equipped with Wireless-AC tech which is up to 2.8 times faster than Wireless-N technology.
- Get Wi-Fi access from anywhere in the office with Beamforming technology.
- 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports allow 4 wired connections for internet connectivity and file sharing.
- Parental control settings to control your child’s internet usage.
- Encryption protocols and firewalls for security.
- Easy setup and configuration.
- Comes with a long Ethernet cable, digital and manual installation guides, power adapter and other accessories.
Reasons to Buy
- The Linksys router provides super-fast data transfer speeds thanks to its Wireless-AC technology, unlike other routers, which still use the ancient and slow Wireless N technology for streaming and downloading media. The Linksys 1200+ is compatible with various devices whether printers, gaming consoles, smartphones, desktop computers and others. You can connect all of these devices to your network through wireless and wired means.
Asus has created a router which is well equipped with powerful features and seamless performance, the Asus RT N66u also called the Asus N900 is a superb dual-band router which has been reported to be very efficient in terms of speed while on 802.11n mode.
The device was first released in 2012 and it is still at par with some of the best routers in the market today.
- Speed And Range: Although the RT N66U is a dual-band router its performance is exceptional while on the 2.4 GHz band, testing has revealed that the router outperforms all other routers in its price range.At close range, the router proved to be 22% faster to its closest competition which is the Belkin N900 router, and a staggering 60% faster speed when tested at 65 feet which is quite impressive.
The router is also compatible with NVIDIA GameStream which allows the users to directly stream games from their shield devices to any wireless display on the network.
- Sharing Features: This router by Asus comes with two multi-functional USB ports, these ports can be used to attached wired printers an scanner and even share media devices like hard drives and pen drives over the network.
Files shared on the network can be streamed from any connected device and speeds are quite decent for a Network Accessed Storage.
- Asus AiCloud: This is a fantastic new service that the company provides to all its new router users, it helps you stay connected to your data from anywhere.
This service typically links your home network directly their web storage service, this lets the users access the shared data right from their smartphones or even through a web browser on any computer.
- Setup and Security: Asus offers a quick internet setup through its installation wizard, it can easily be configured to work with the ISPs gateway.
It allows the users to connect any WPS devices with a single touch of the WPS button without the need for any password. In terms of network security, the router is updated with WPA and WPA2 encryptions.
- It has two simultaneous bands, 2.4 GHz, and 5 GHz, to offer strong signals and super-fast connections to a maximum of 900Mbps.
- The presence of Gigabit Ethernet ports allows you to connect a cable modem to the router.
- Although it operates on N technology, the router is also compatible with 802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11g devices.
- The Download Master allows wireless access and storage of data to USB storage devices connected to the router.
- Provides large Wi-Fi coverage, thanks to its three powerful antennas.
- Has two in-built USB ports to enable easy sharing of a printer, external hard drive or files.
- The ASUSWRT dashboard user interface makes router setup and the monitoring of signals easy tasks.
Reasons to Buy
- The Rt N66u is a fantastic 802.11n router with average performance in the 802.11ac mode, it has been proved to be the fastest router for streaming media when tested.
- It is possibly the best affordable router under $100 for people who use their home network for streaming media.
- It is ideal for anyone who has a few 802.11ac standard devices but uses the 802.11n for wireless gaming and media streaming since the company has promised a 50% wide range and speed than the N standard specification.
- Powerful Processing: A good router is one that can process data and information in nanoseconds to maintain smooth and interrupted connections. Well, the Archer C9 is fitted with a fast 1 GHz dual-core processor that’s designed to meet your demands whether you are playing games online, downloading files, streaming HD videos or sharing files within the network.
Apart from streamlining the router’s connectivity, the dual-core processor manages all the C9’s hardware and software operations. This functionality allows the router auto-detect which Wi-Fi band is receiving the most data traffic, and therefore, allocate more processing power to it for smooth connections.
- Beamforming: The C9 is equipped with Beamforming technology, which helps the router distribute its Wi-Fi signals more efficiently. This technology detects Wi-Fi devices and focuses its Wi-Fi signals in those directions instead of distributing the signals aimlessly in all directions. The Beamforming tech helps the C9 produce stronger and more reliable connections even as you move from room to room with your smart devices.
- High-Speed Internet: With a dual 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band, the Archer C9 can connect to more devices to your network. The 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band connects to devices that are nearby while the 5 GHz Wi-Fi band connects to devices that are far away. When combined, the 2 Wi-Fi bands can deliver speeds of up to 1900 Mbps, which are suitable for data-intensive tasks such as online gaming and streaming 4K videos.
- Support Multiple Devices: The Archer C9 is multiple devices supported router as evidenced by the multiple USB 3.0 ports fitted on the router. The USB 3.0 ports are up to 10X faster than the standard USB 2.0 ports for faster file sharing between various devices.
TFor remote configuration, the C9 can be set up and managed through its TP-Link Tether app, available for both Android and iOS devices. Once you install the TP-Link Tether app on your smartphone, you get admin privileges and can configure the router from your smartphone.
- Dual Wi-Fi bands that support speeds of up to 1900 Mbps.
- 3 detachable external antennas.
- 1 GHz dual-core processor for seamless operation.
- USB ports for extra connectivity and file sharing.
- Ethernet ports for wired connectivity and 1 WAN port.
- Highly advanced Beamforming tech for more efficient distribution of Wi-Fi signals.
- Supports multiple devices at once.
- Comes with security encryption protocols and firewalls that allow you to secure your router from malicious attacks.
- Easy network setup, management, and configuration thanks to its TP-Link Tether app.
- 2-year warranty and 24/7 technical support.
Reasons to Buy
- For under $100, you won’t get many routers that provide speeds of up to 1900 Mbps, and that makes the Archer AC1900 a special router. With a dual 1GHz processor, you can be sure the C9 will always provide a smooth and high-quality performance.l
- Generally, TP-Link routers are known to be reliable, and the C9 is no exception. You can use it for various purposes whether at home or in the office.
The single band router can also be used as an extender from another router around the home. The uniquely styled router is well suited for small homes, it can handle light browsing and light file sharing tasks.The technology, however, is still limited to the 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz with three 10/100 Ethernet ports.
Secruifi is a company dedicated to making routers and smart home security products since 2012, the Securifi Almond Touchscreen router was their first product.It is quite different from the conventional routers in terms of design.
It comes with a touchscreen that allows users to directly setup it up without using a computer.It is an efficient router with a couple of unique features that have never been seen in this price range.
- Touchscreen: The Securifi Almond is the only router in its range that offers a 3.5-inch touchscreen, this has eliminated the need for having a computer to setup the network.
It allows the user to simply create an SSID and a password when it is connected for the first time, later the user can access all the routers setting and status from the same screen.
- Speed and Network Range: The Almond router is capable of offering speeds up to 300 Mbps, this is not much but works well as it can team up with any other router in the house to boost the speed and range.
When tested it managed to deliver 50 Mbps when the device was 15 feet away, when tested at 100 feet the router delivered 17 Mbps which is quite good for a single band router at the given price.
- Easy Setup and Security: The Company claims that the router takes only 3 minutes to setup, we tested it and found that the claims were true.The touchscreen allows any user to set up the network with just a few taps on the touchscreen.
The router supports all wireless security modes like WEP, WPA and even WPA2, this makes the device as secure as the Best Routers under 100 Dollars available in the market in 2018.
- It has a very quick and easy process taking only three minutes to have it up and running. Follow the intuitive touchscreen without the hassle of using a PC, MAC or a CD to set it up.
- It works well with personal computers, MAC, Android, XBOX, Windows, and Linux.
- It is a multi-purpose device which is primarily used as a router but can also serve as a range extender and a Wi-Fi bridge.
- It offers fast Wi-Fi speeds to a maximum of 300mbps with coverage of up to 2000 square feet.
- As a range extender, it works well with any router, be it Netgear, Linksys or Belkin, among other brands.
Reasons to Buy
- The Securifi Almond router is one its kind and the best things is that it can be bought for less than $100, the touchscreen is a strong selling point as it changes the way people look at the router.
- The wireless performance of this device is quite good for its price range, it is primarily made to support smart home controls and has the ability to instantly turn on or off any electrical item from your smartphone.
- If you want an elegant router with unique features and an inbuilt range extender the Securifi Almond is the best router for you.
Netgear is one of the leading networking companies in the world, they have introduced a Dual-band Router called the NETGEAR N750 that promises to deliver a reliable connection without network congestion or interference.
It is loaded with most of the latest features in networking technology like streaming, gaming, and sharing media.
All these features packed into an economically priced router earns its place in our best wifi router under 100 list for 2018.
- Speed and Range: The Netgear N750 delivers an amazing speed of 300 + 450 Mbps which makes a total of 750 Mbps, it comes with a Gigabit Ethernet port that can easily handle all types of gaming and HD Video Streaming.
The range is also quite impressive and can provide consistent coverage even in large homes, and it supports dual bands which eliminate the possibility of network congestion or interference. All these features bundled together in one router makes it the best router for gaming and streaming.
- Sharing Features: The Netgear N750 acts as a DLNA media server by allowing the users to attach various USB devices directly to the routers USB port, it offers Readyshare cloud capabilities that lets you access the data stored on the USB device remotely.
Apart from this it even supports Time Machine which lets you create backups on Mac devices, all these features make this device stand out in its range and brings it to our top list.
- Netgear Genie App: Netgear has introduced the Genie App for most of its new devices to give the users the flexibility of managing their network from their smartphones.
This fantastic app allows the user to conduct speed tests, create Guest networks and change the SSID and Password of the network remotely. It also has some effective parental controls and gives you information about all the device connected to the network.
- Easy Setup and Security: Netgear has made the setup and installation process very easy to understand, users can even set up or change their network setting remotely from their smartphones.
The router also features some of the latest security features like Guest network access, parental control and network security like WPA/WPA2.
- It offers wireless internet connections at super-fast Wi-Fi speeds to a maximum of 750 Mbps distributed in its 24.GHz and 5GHz simultaneous dual bands.
- You can use the router for the access to strong interference-free connections suitable for demanding online applications such as HD video streaming, transfer of large files as well as multiplayer gaming.
- Although NETGEAR N750 operates on 802.11ac standard, it is also compatible with a, b, g and n devices. It has guest access feature which allows you to create special network account for your guests.
- The setup process of this router is a breeze, you don’t need the long process of using a CD.
Reasons to Buy
- Netgear has joined the race of making truly efficient routers that are sold at an economical price, it also promises constant improvement through future firmware updates.
- When tested the router revealed good performance and stayed with the competitions in terms of speed and range. If you want a router under $100 that gives excellent speed along with the most advanced features this router is perfect for you.
Is It A Good Idea to Buy an Under $100 Router?
How To Improve The Performance Of Your Wireless Routers?
- Hopefully, you are in agreement with me that you can actually get a nice router even if your budget is below $100. Any of the aforementioned routers have a price not exceeding the budget and can be a worthy buy if you don’t have advanced networking needs. It is evident that a router with heavy performance or a normal one but with awesome features must not cost you $100 or more. However, you know what you exactly want in a router and that should be the main guiding factor in your choice of the best router. All the best for your purchase!