Last Updated on
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 7 Best Dual Wan Routers (Load Balancing Business Firewall Routers) For Multiple Internet Connections
- 1.1 Here are 7 Best Dual WAN Load Balancing Routers Reviewed:
- 1.2 What Is A Dual WAN Router?
- 1.3 Top 3 Best Dual WAN Load Balancing Routers Comparison
- 1.4 1. Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite ERLITE-3 Desktop Router (Black)
- 1.5 2. Cisco Systems Gigabit Dual WAN VPN 14 Port Router (RV325K9NA)
- 1.6 3. Linksys Business Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Router (LRT224)
- 1.7 4. Peplink Balance 20 Dual-WAN Router
- 1.8 5. TP-Link Gigabit Ethernet Safestream VPN Router (TL-ER6020)
- 1.9 6. UTT AC750W Dual Band Wireless AC VPN Router, Dual+ WAN Ports, Load Balance
- 1.10 7. NETGEAR ProSafe FVS336G Dual WAN VPN Firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN (FVS336G-300NAS)
- 1.11 Advantages/Disadvantages of Dual Wan Routing
- 1.12 Final Verdict
Top 7 Best Dual Wan Routers (Load Balancing Business Firewall Routers) For Multiple Internet Connections
Looking for The Best Dual Wan Router?
Well, If you run a small business and want to set up an internet connection for your office, then you’ve come to the right place.
We know you are concerned because the regular internet connections found in every home won’t cut it for your business as they have proven to be unreliable. Don’t worry, we have a solution for you, and it’s in the form of dual WAN routers. Nothing is conventional with these routers.
They establish multiple links to an ISP which results in a more stable and reliable internet connection for businesses, among other advantages. Let us now look at some of the best dual WAN routers and explore some of their advantages and disadvantages. Enjoy.
Here are 7 Best Dual WAN Load Balancing Routers Reviewed:
- Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite ERLITE-3 Desktop Router
- Cisco Systems Gigabit Dual WAN VPN 14 Port Router
- Linksys Business Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Router
- Peplink Balance 20 Dual-WAN Router
- TP-Link Gigabit Ethernet Safestream VPN Router
- UTT AC750W Dual Band Wireless AC VPN Router
- NETGEAR ProSafe FVS336G Dual WAN VPN Firewall
What Is A Dual WAN Router?
A Dual WAN router is a router that is equipped with 2 Internet ports and can be utilized to connect to 2 internet connections. A Dual WAN Router is essential if an Internet connection is so crucial to you that you can’t tolerate to stay with Internet outage and don’t want to depend on Internet connection from one ISP.
- Failover: Setting up your WAN router for primary failover means only the primary Internet connection will be utilized and a second connection will be utilized if the basic connection fails. The benefit of failover is to ensure that all traffic is flowing through one path. This can be useful for path-sensitive connections including VPN or VOIP traffic.
- Load Balancing: When load balancing is enabled, it is crucial to set up your WAN router with the speed of the Internet connection. The default load balancing algorithm of many dual routers equally supply traffic over two WAN connections. If the Internet connection speeds are not equal, your router requires knowing the two connection speeds to provide the traffic load correctly. These Best Dual Wan Routers may have many load balancing choices.
Top 3 Best Dual WAN Load Balancing Routers Comparison
These routers are known as dual internet routers. There are a few routers available on the market, which can connect to more than one link to an ISP. Let us have a flash on Excellent Dual Wan Routers, and explain how they work and what their features are.
So, without further ado, let’s take a look at the Best Dual WAN Load Balancing Routers.
As its name suggests, the Ubiquiti ERLITE-3 is a simple, low-cost router that is rated as one of the most reliable routers for home use and small businesses in its class. It offers 3 Ethernet WAN ports with all three ports being Gigabit rated.
This means that the Ubiquiti ERLITE-3 provides fewer connection points than other routers such as the Cisco which provides 14 WAN ports. However, with just 2 Gigabit ports on the Cisco, the ERLITE-3 offers an additional Gigabit port, meaning it is far superior at load balancing than the Cisco.
In regards to internal hardware, the ERLITE-3 is fitted with a 512MB RAM module and 2GB of ROM memory. And since it doesn’t have a wireless adapter, you cannot set up a Wi-Fi network on it. But, that can be easily forgiven considering that the Ubiquiti router uses EdgeOS version 1.4.0 for software. This system supports WAN+2LAN, WAN+2LAN2 and as mentioned earlier load balancing.
What We Liked?
- Can transfer 1 million 64-byte data packets per second.
- Provides 3 Gigabit routing ports.
- Produces a silent and fanless operation.
- Durable metal casing with vents for letting hot air out.
- Compact design.
- Its lightweight nature and sturdy metal frame make it hard for the internal components to get damaged when dropped accidentally.
Considering its simple configuration, the Cisco is an exemplary WAN router. In regards to performance, this baby can reach data transfer speeds of more than 600 Mbps. The Cisco guarantees that at no point in time will you be at a loss when it comes to sharing or downloading large files whether at home or your place of work.
This high-performance router is also fitted with super-fast processors. These processors ensure smooth data transfer and sharing of large files. The processors also help optimize the data flow between users in the network and allocate bandwidth to every user in the network to keep work flowing.
When it comes to connectivity, the Cisco router offers 14 WAN ports for providing multiple wired connections. 2 of those WAN ports are high-speed Gigabit ports that are optimized for load balancing. What’s more, with VPN capabilities and IP security, businesses can use this router knowing that their files and data are protected.
What We Liked?
- It has 14 Ethernet ports which provide more connection points.
- Allows remote connectivity through its VPN feature.
- Set up is easy and intuitive through its browser-based setup manager.
- Affordable – offers great value for cash.
- Supports IPv6.
- VLAN configuration in this Cisco router simple and intuitive.
The Linksys LRT224 is a perfect option for small institutions, which require the best VPN features. With a price of less than £150, the sturdy steel box can handle as much as fifty site-to-site. It can also handle client IPsec VPN and augment this with support for Linksys’ own Easylink VPN, PPTP, and Open VPN.
It boasts 4 Gigabit LAN ports as well as two more for WAN links. It performs load balancing and connection failover across the mentioned ports. The security features included are; simple website filtering, support for custom access regulations, DoS protection, and standard SPI firewall.
It features five Open VPN tunnels for Android and iOS users. It has a whopping 900 Mbps firewall plus 110 Mbps IPsec throughputs. It is feature-rich, so it meets a broad range of business network needs.
The LRT from Linksys series integrates site-to-site VPN, Gigabit firewall, and several other remote access VPN technologies into one box. There are two models to opt from, providing reliable and secure network service for staff members whether they are on the road or at the office.
What We Liked?
- It offers excellent value for money.
- Using the VPNs is just but a breeze.
The router’s Break Internet Bandwidth Limits add Internet links to enhance bandwidth. All Peplink Balance has seven advanced load balancing algorithms. Traffic is supplied to different Internet links to get an increase in network speed.
Easily add low-price Internet links like DSL, Cable to your loading websites, existing network, will be much quicker. Utilizing outbound traffic manager, you can easily configure rules to route ultra-high volume traffic to your speedier Internet Links while increasing speed.
Get a 100 percent Internet Uptime with these Routers which can combine as much as 13 Internet connections. This allows you to subscribe to many Internet providers for optimum efficiency. This Router switches the user to a maximum combination of normal Internet connections including Cable Internet and ADSL.
This incredible change will amazingly lower your Internet costs and boost performance. Features are subject to change and may differ according to the model.
What We Liked?
- Have 100Mbps throughput.
- It is cheap offering excellent value for money.
TP-Link is known to produce some of the best-rated home and small business routers. They come with different specifications, and this TP-Link TL-ER6020 is no exception. It features six connection ports. They include 2 LAN ports, 2 WAN ports, 1 LAN/DMZ port and one console port. All ports except the console port are rated as Gigabit ports.
Just as with other WAN routers in this class, the TP-Link TL-ER6020 does not have a wireless adapter. This means that you have to buy a separate WI-FI router if you want a wireless connection. However, its configuration allows you to connect it to your cable modem and utilize it as a wired router.
As far as the routers go, the TL-ER6020 is one of the more reliable ones you can purchase at this level. This is largely thanks to its load balancing feature which spreads data traffic across its dual WAN bands which helps reduce downtime should one band fail.
What We Liked?
- 5 Gigabit connection ports and a single console port.
- Supports various VPN protocols such as IPsec/PPTP/L2TP, which is known to provide flexibility to users trying to access VPN services.
- Supports a hardware-based VPN engine.
- Comes equipped with various security and encryption features such as DoS Defense, ARP Inspection, Access Control and URL/Keyword Domain Filter.
UTT AC750GW Router is known as one of the most powerful routers. This is because it utilizes two bands including 2.4GHz and 5GHz to deliver the load and eliminate interference among wirelessly connected gadgets. Its dual-band feature enables you to add many more devices to your network. This may be impossible with a single frequency.
It features a total of 3 detachable 7dBi Omni-antennas and utilizes 802.11ac technology which is also compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n gadgets.
Using MIMO technology, UTT AC750GW router can provide speeds of as much as 750Mbps. This router supports a huge list of wireless modes such as AP Mode, Repeater Mode, AP Client Mode, WDS, and Bridge Mode. It also has a wireless MAC address filter.
This Router comes with two WAN 10/100/1000M ports, three LAN 10/100/1000M ports (WAN/LAN configurable) and 1 USB 2.0 port perfect for storage or file sharing. The web browser supported configuration offers simple remote access and easy management to your network when you’re nowhere near it.
What We liked?
- Incredibly easy to use.
- Features Enterprise-Level Performance.
The Netgear ProSafe is one of the costlier WAN models in this class. However, the extra money you pay for it does not go to waste as the ProSafe is loaded to the gills with a bunch of useful features. For instance, it comes equipped performance-enhancing features such as QoS, WAN Traffic Metering, failover and load balancing capabilities.
Security and encryption features in the ProSafe include impenetrable firewalls, VPN capabilities, among others. If these features don’t mean anything to you don’t worry because we saved the best feature for last and that is its speed capabilities. The ProSafe produces data transfer speeds of up to 350 Mbps on both its WAN and LAN channels.
Connectivity-wise, this router comes fitted with 6 Ethernet ports meaning you can only have six direct users at any one given point. Another advantage the Netgear ProSafe has over other routers is that all its ports are Gigabit rated. This means they provide super-fast internet connections and data transfer speeds. What’s more, you can also use the Gigabit ports to extend your network’s connectivity through either wired or wireless routers.
What We Liked?
- 6 Gigabit ports that provide superfast connections.
- Load-balancing & failover capabilities across dual-WAN ports.
- Netgear Firewall locks out hackers and malicious programs out of your network.
- 35 VPN tunnels for reliable and safe remote access.
- Up to 350 Mbps of data transfer speeds.
- Data traffic control with WAN Traffic Metering and Quality of Service (QoS).
Advantages/Disadvantages of Dual Wan Routing
- More bandwidth allocation: Dual WAN routing uses load balancing technology to balance the data traffic evenly across the WAN channels. When you open a thread, it creates an extra link which will be used as a connection point when you open a second thread which will also create an extra link. This results in increased bandwidth.
- Less downtime: Another advantage of having an extra link is that if one link fails, you can use the other link thereby reducing your downtime. When one link fails, all data traffic can be re-routed to the working link to maintain a stable internet connection.
- The failover feature can only be activated manually: If you can recall, the failover feature re-routes data traffic from a broken link to a working link. However, since the feature is not automated, you have to manually run a diagnosis to determine broken links and re-route the traffic manually as well.
- Not as effective for single users as multiple users: If you are a single user, the only way you can enjoy maximum download speeds is by running multi-threaded downloads. Getting combined bandwidth can be a tedious task for an individual while being very beneficial for multiple network users.
Customer reviews of these products are positive regarding ease of setup, configuration as well as remote access features. The speed of data is also considered quick. Product users have also commented on the reliability of the connectivity and powerful signal available with these routers. So if you are looking for the Best Dual Wan Router, choose your best bet from the above three.