Most Recommended DD-WRT Routers for 2018
Initially, DD-WRT was introduced as a firmware for the WRT54G router by Linksys.Later it was released as an open-source firmware which now runs on a variety of different models.
The firmware is capable of drastically improving the performance of the router and unlocking its true potential.
This custom DD-WRT firmware replaces the default one provided by the company, the process is similar to flashing an android phone or installing a new operating system on your computer.
The flashing is totally worth it as the DD-WRT allows the users to explore functionalities which are not available by default such as overclocking, increasing the signal strength and range and other tweaks.
|Router Name||Image||Features||Check Now!|
TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 Wireless Router - IEEE 802.11n
| ||2x USB 2.0|| |
NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000)
| || |
Beamforming+ improves range & performance plus High powered amplifiers & antennas to extend your Wi-Fi coverage.
Easy Setup - NETGEAR Up to set up & manage your network. Includes Circle with Disney Smart Parental Controls to manage your family's internet use.
AC1900 WiFi - 600+1300 Mbps speeds with 1GHz Dual Core Processor.
ASUS AC1200 5th Gen Dual-Band Wireless RT-AC56U Gigabit Router
| || |
1x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0
Linksys WRT AC1900 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Wireless Router
| ||2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz Simultaneous Dual Wireless Bands For A Strong, Reliable Wi-Fi Signal That Eliminates Dead Zones Even In Multistory Homes.|
4 Gigabit Ethernet Ports Are 10 Times Faster Than Fast Ethernet To Provide The Fastest Wired Speeds.
Wireless-AC, up to 4.3x faster than N technology: Simultaneous dual-band speed up to 600 Mbps (2.4 GHz) + 1300 Mbps (5 GHz).
ASUS AC5300 Wireless Tri-Band Gigabit Router [RT-AC5300]
| ||Tri-band (dual 5 GHz, single 2.4 GHz) with the latest 802.11ac 4x4 technology for maximum throughput (5334 Mbps) and coverage (up to 5,000 sq. ft.).|
AiProtection Powered by Trend Micro provides multi-stage protection from vulnerability detection to protecting sensitive data.
MU-MIMO technology enables multiple compatible clients to connect at each client’s respective maximum speed.
Why Choose a DD-WRT Supported Router?
Top Selling DD-WRT Routers Review
DD-WRT is considered the easiest firmware to flash onto a router in comparison to other open source firmware. You can have extended features without getting into complex technical processes. Now let us take a look at some of the best DD-WRT routers available in the market.
Linksys AC1900 (WRT1900ACS) – Our Best Pick
Linksys has designed the WRT1900acs as one of the most elite devices on the market today. With a sleek high tech design, it looks highly admirable.
The performance is said to be superior to most other devices in this range and given its DD-WRT compatibility, this one is a really great performer.
There are four detachable antennas that add to the device’s iconic look. It can easily handle a huge network load with multiple users simultaneously streaming full HD Videos.
It also comes with the most powerful flash memory ever seen in a wireless network device. Even though these features are already excellent, flashing the device with a custom firmware will make it even better.
- 4 antennas for perfect connection quality and range.
- 802.11ac standard.
- The high-speed 1.6GHz processor allows multiple users.
- 1900Mbps max speed.
- USB 3.0, 2.0 and eSATA connections.
TP-LINK (WDR3600) – Best Budget
This is one of the highly recommended router and is truly a powerful device. Flashing it with the DD-WRT firmware makes it even better in terms of performance.The device has an Atheros processor on board which can be overclocked if flashed with a script.
The default speed is 300 Mbps for each of the dual bands and these speeds can be significantly boosted through the advanced option made available by flashing the router.
The Tp-Link WDR3600 is a great choice for those who need a high performing router to support heavy usage. Vpn tunneling, which is also made quite easy, is a vital security feature that encrypts all the data and lets users mask their location.
If your home network has heavy usage of services like Netflix, HULU, and other such video streaming options, having this router will certainly improve the functionality of these applications.
- Great Value: The WDR3600 is not just cheap, but the build quality and features provided are outright luxurious for the price.
- Supports IEEE standards 802.11 a, b, g and n.
- Support for VPN tunneling improves privacy and security.
NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000) – Powerful
Netgear is a well-established company in the networking industry, their Nighthawk R7000 model is yet another addition to their successful line of products that are used across the globe.
The device comes with high powered signal amplifiers and antennas that truly enhance the Wi-Fi performance, and flashing the router will allow for some more options to improve its range.
The DD-WRT firmware can increase the router’s overall speed which is already quite impressive at 1900Mbps across both the bands. If you are looking for an easy to use DD-WRT compatible router then this one is a good option.
- Great speed.
- Unexpectedly high number of Ethernet ports.
- 802.11ac compatibility.
- USB 3.0 as well as 2.0
- Triple antenna configuration means great connection quality at all times.
- Insane price-performance ratio.
- Supports Amazon Alexa and voice commands.
Asus RT-AC56U AC1200 – Cheap DD-WRT Router
The RT-AC56U AC1200 also known as the Asus Overplay is a fresh and improved version of the classic RT-N56U. However, the company has retained all the popular features and also its design.
With a high powered 800 Mhz Broadcom Processor, this is the best router from Asus that comes with DD-WRT compatibility, it is known to handle a load of more than 5 people using the network for high quality streaming at the same time.
So people who have a high demand for network speed on multiple devices should consider this powerful device from ASUS.
- Exceptionally cheap.
- Can still compete with higher-priced models.
- Stylish, unique design.
- 802.11ac compatibility.
- 1167Mbps max speed.
- USB 3.0.
D-Link AC3200 Ultra (DIR-890L/R) – Tri Band dd-wrt router
D-Link AC3200 Router comes with a unique design and seems to be inspired by a sci-fi theme. After a long wait, D-Link has created a truly attractive premium device that performs twice as good as it looks.
It is Ideal for almost all gaming requirements as well as anyone with heavy usage like media sharing and streaming on multiple devices at the same time.
It has the looks of a mini-drone but is loaded with all the features that are commonly seen in premium routers in the market today. As if that’s not enough, it also comes with a DD-WRT compatibility which further extends the device’s functionality and gives unlimited options to increase the range, speed, network security and much more.
If you are looking for a truly attractive router with all the features that you can think of, this one could be your choice – the best high range dd-wrt router.
- 6 Beamforming Antennas deliver more bandwidth than you will ever need, even when sharing the router with many other users.
- Three wireless bands for different kinds of content.
- Extreme range.
- 1GHz Dual Core Processor.
- USB 3.0
Some Advantages of DD-WRT Routers
- Qos: Also known as Quality of Service in network devices, it is a standard or mechanism that makes sure that the prioritized task, application or users get the most out of their computer’s resources like bandwidth and transfer speeds. This feature is programmed to keep resources ready for the prioritized user and for tasks considered more critical than some others.
- Nas: This feature is called Network Attached Storage and is a useful feature that lets users connect any media storage device to the router and share or stream it over the home network.
- Network Printer: DD-WRT Routers have extended capability to share printers over the network. Users can attach a wired printer through the USB port and all the devices on the network are able to use it.
- DNS Caching: This is a rather premium feature that is available mostly with high-end business routers, however, it can be unlocked on a DD-WRT router. It basically speeds up the DNS lookup by keeping the data of the most visited websites in the router’s DNS cache.
- Wireless Bridging: A wireless bridge is when two wired networks are connected over the Wi-Fi, this bridge works like a client by logging into the main router to obtain web connectivity. The bridge can then share the connection from the LAN ports without creating a heavy load on the main router.
- Advance Performance Graphs: If you have a DD-WRT FlashRouter then this feature will give you a comprehensive breakdown of all the network usage and activity through detailed statistics and charts
- Adjust Antenna Power: This is another performance tweak that the user can enjoy with a DD-WRT compatible router. It enables the user to adjust the antennas’ power to further extend the range of the wireless network.
- VPN: This is the functionality that allows a DD-WRT router to create a secured connection over a public network. With the help of this feature, businesses can give secured remote access to the business network from any public network.
- Kai Daemon: This is a feature that enables network tunneling for multiple devices and consoles to access the Xling Kai Game Platform, which is one the most popular open-source gaming platforms that connect players from various consoles.
- AD-Blocking: You may be familiar with ad-blockers which are used in browsers, these are similar scripts made for your routers. A DD-WRT will let you install this script on your hardware and get rid of annoying ads.
- Analytics & Tweaking: The DD-WRT firmware gives comprehensive reports about the network’s performance and the bandwidth usage using charts and statistics. If you are an advanced user, these reports would help you a lot in pinpointing bugs and testing new applications. And since it is an open source firmware there will be constant improvement and advancements in terms of features.
- Wi-Fi Hotspot Management: Having a DD-WRT router enables the users to install additional software to help with tasks like hotspot management. There is quite a few software which can be loaded on to a DD-WRT router to benefit from its extended functionality.
In conclusion, we can only recommend getting one of the above routers which have been handpicked from among the best DD-WRT Routers. Using this firmware model is not only incredibly beneficial, Thanks to the guidelines and explanations provided above—foolishly simple.
If you want a cost-efficient and compact choice, both TP-LINK and ASUS have something to offer. If you’re only looking for the best of the best, D-LINK would want a word with you. The market for high-end DD-WRT Routers isn’t very large, which fortunately means it isn’t very saturated either.
Thus, choosing the best router that suits your needs is much easier than what you might be used to, from previous gadget purchases. So, what are you waiting for? Go get a DD-WRT-compatible router and enjoy a freer, faster and more secure internet experience!
Frequently Asked Questions
Does DD-WRT feature any support for OpenVPN or PPTP?
Yes, DD-WRT supports both of these solutions. Using OpenVPN and PPTP, you can log into VPNs (Virtual Private Networks) and encrypt your connection, securing your privacy, identity, and personal information when using the internet.
If I upgrade my router to DD-WRT, will my internet get faster?
If you set it up correctly, yes, DD-WRT and the advanced settings and functions associated with it can enable you to improve your internet connection speed.
Is there anything I should know about the process of installing DD-WRT firmware?
You can learn about the installation procedure for your specific router on the aforementioned database at dd-wrt.com. This differs from device to device, but generally speaking, you will need to download a software package, “flash” your router and then install it in a certain, model-specific way in order to properly add a DD-WRT capability to your machine.
What are the benefits of a DD-WRT router?
DD-WRT firmware gives you more control over your router’s settings and features when compared to manufacturers’ default software. This ranges from VPNs to adjustable antenna power, VLAN (Virtual LAN), unique SSID creation
What routers have DD-WRT support?
Renting a modem/router device is always possible, usually directly via the ISP. However, we advise against renting your modem router as most, if not all, rented devices on the market right now are particularly slow and outdated models.