Best Routers For DD-WRT: 5 DD-WRT Routers For Home & Business
Looking for a best dd-wrt router? Initially, ddwrt wireless router was introduced as a firmware for the WRT54G router by Linksys. Later it was released as an open-source firmware which now runs on a variety of different models
The firmware is capable of drastically improving the performance of the router and unlocking its true potential.
This custom DD-WRT firmware replaces the default one provided by the company, the process is similar to flashing an android phone or installing a new operating system on your computer.
The flashing is totally worth it as the DD-WRT allows the users to explore functionalities which are not available by default such as overclocking, increasing the signal strength and range and other tweaks.
Here Are The 5 Top-Rated DD-WRT Routers Reviewed:
5 Top DD-WRT Routers List: Comparison Chart
|Router Name||Image||Features||Check Now!|
TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 Wireless Router - IEEE 802.11n
| ||2x USB 2.0|| |
NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000)
| || |
Beamforming+ improves range & performance plus High powered amplifiers & antennas to extend your Wi-Fi coverage.
Easy Setup - NETGEAR Up to set up & manage your network. Includes Circle with Disney Smart Parental Controls to manage your family's internet use.
AC1900 WiFi - 600+1300 Mbps speeds with 1GHz Dual Core Processor.
ASUS AC1200 5th Gen Dual-Band Wireless RT-AC56U Gigabit Router
| || |
1x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0
Linksys WRT AC1900 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Wireless Router
| ||2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz Simultaneous Dual Wireless Bands For A Strong, Reliable Wi-Fi Signal That Eliminates Dead Zones Even In Multistory Homes.|
4 Gigabit Ethernet Ports Are 10 Times Faster Than Fast Ethernet To Provide The Fastest Wired Speeds.
Wireless-AC, up to 4.3x faster than N technology: Simultaneous dual-band speed up to 600 Mbps (2.4 GHz) + 1300 Mbps (5 GHz).
ASUS AC5300 Wireless Tri-Band Gigabit Router [RT-AC5300]
| ||Tri-band (dual 5 GHz, single 2.4 GHz) with the latest 802.11ac 4x4 technology for maximum throughput (5334 Mbps) and coverage (up to 5,000 sq. ft.).|
AiProtection Powered by Trend Micro provides multi-stage protection from vulnerability detection to protecting sensitive data.
MU-MIMO technology enables multiple compatible clients to connect at each client’s respective maximum speed.
Why Choose a DD-WRT Supported Router?
People generally know that Wireless routers can be enhanced with firmware but aren’t really sure if they need it. here are some solid reasons for why you should buy a DD-WRT Flash Router.
This firmware is open source which means that people around the globe have full access to tweak and add to it. As a result of this, the firmware is almost always up to date with bug fixes and security updates. It also unlocks some premium features, which are only available in high-end business routers.
These additional features play a vital role in boosting performance and increasing functionality and security. Also, you can rest assured that DD-WRT is one of the easiest firmware to flash on to a router. Therefore, when you buy a router, always choose a top ddwrt Supported Device.
The 5 Best DD-WRT Routers Reviewed For 2019
DD-WRT is considered the easiest firmware to flash onto a router in comparison to other open source firmware. You can have extended features without getting into complex technical processes. Now let us take a look at some of the best DD-WRT routers available in the market.
Linksys has designed the WRT1900acs as one of the most elite devices on the market today. With a sleek high tech design, it looks highly admirable.
The performance of this linksys wrt wifi router is said to be superior to most other devices in this range and given its DD-WRT compatibility, this one is a really great performer with fastest data transfer rates.
There are four detachable antennas that add to the device’s iconic look. It can easily handle a huge network load with multiple users simultaneously streaming full HD Videos.
It also comes with the most powerful flash memory ever seen in a wireless network device. Even though these features are already excellent, flashing the device with a custom firmware or ddwrt openvpn will make it even better. This is one of the best ddwrt routers for home.
- 4 antennas for perfect connection quality and range.
- 802.11ac standard.
- The high-speed 1.6 ghz dualcore processor allows multiple users.
- 1900Mbps max speed.
- USB 3.0, 2.0 and eSATA connections.
- great parental control.
The Linksys AC1900 dual band router is one of the best high-quality DD-WRT routers around, featuring high speeds, multiple connections, a high-speed processor and overall great performance, albeit for a high price.
If you have the budget, you can’t go wrong with the Linksys, if you’re looking for a high-performance router.
This is one of the highly recommended router and is truly a powerful device. Flashing it with the DD-WRT firmware makes it even better in terms of performance. The device has an Atheros processor on board which can be overclocked if flashed with a script. You won’t face any problem while connecting to your network.
he default speed is 300 Mbps for each of the dual bands and these speeds can be significantly boosted through the advanced option made available by flashing the router. It can create vpn connections with ease.
The Tp-Link WDR3600 is a smart wifi router and a great choice for those who need a high performing router to support heavy usage. Vpn tunneling, which is also made quite easy, is a vital security feature that encrypts all the data and lets users mask their location. It can be a better feature if you are a vpn client, but it depends on your vpn provider. Tplink ac1900 and linksys wrt3200acm are Also good options, if you don’t want to spend much money.
If your home network has heavy usage of services like Netflix, HULU, and other such video streaming options, having this router will certainly improve the functionality of these applications.
- Great Value: The WDR3600 is not just cheap, but the build quality and features provided are outright luxurious for the price.
- Supports IEEE standards 802.11 a, b, g and n.
- Support for VPN tunneling improves privacy and security.
- omes with gigabit ethernet ports.
The TP-LINK WDR3600 is a cheap, moderately high speed and efficient DD-WRT-capable router. However, for a price as extremely low as $50, one should not expect performance to be equal to or superior to its other, more expensive competitors. If this router had a tagline, it would be, “What you see is what you get.”
Netgear is a well-established company in the networking industry, their Nighthawk R7000 model is yet another addition to their successful line of products that are used across the globe.
Netgear r7000 dualband router comes with dualcore processor, high powered signal amplifiers and antennas that truly enhance the Wi-Fi performance, and flashing the router will allow for some more options to improve its range.
The DD-WRT firmware can increase overall speed of this netgear r7000 nighthawk router which is already quite impressive at 1900Mbps across both the bands. If you are looking for an easy to use DD-WRT compatible router then this r7000 ddwrt router is a good option. If you want extra feaures like beamforming technology, hard drive, etc then you’ll need netgear nighthawk x4s with .
- Strong wireless connectivity.
- Unexpectedly high number of Ethernet ports.
- 802.11ac compatibility.
- USB 3.0 as well as 2.0
- Triple antenna configuration means great connection quality at all times.
- Insane price-performance ratio.
- Supports Amazon Alexa and voice commands.
The NETGEAR Nighthawk is certainly one of the most cost-efficient DD-WRT Routers around. It has all the features you would want from a router of this type: 802.11ac, USB 3.0, triple antennae, an insanely high max speed of 1900Mbps and VPN support. And all of that at a low price.
It’s too bad that reliability problems like faulty firmware and defective units have hurt the Nighthawk’s image. .Perhaps NETGEAR should sell the Nighthawk at a price worthy of its large array of features and produce it at a higher level of quality. That would probably make it the best choice among DD-WRT Routers.
The asus router RT-AC56U AC1200 also known as the Asus Overplay is a fresh and improved version of the classic RT-N56U. you can say that it is a good connectable devices. However, the company has retained all the popular features and also its design.
With a high powered 800 Mhz Broadcom Processor, this is the best router from Asus that comes with DD-WRT compatibility, it is known to handle a load of more than 5 people using the network for high quality streaming at the same time.
So people who have a high demand for network speed on multiple devices should consider this powerful device from ASUS.
Or go with its higher performance device asus ac5300.
- Exceptionally cheap.
- Can still compete with higher-priced models.
- Stylish, unique design.
- 802.11ac compatibility.
- 1167Mbps max speed.
- USB 3.0.
Make no mistake, the ASUS RT-AC56U is a great budget DD-WRT gigabit router. For the unusually low sub-$100 prices, the RT-AC56U offers exceptional value and great looks too.
In fact, as far as its price-performance ratio is concerned, we would recommend the ASUS over the TP-LINK WDR3600 which we looked at earlier. However, the RT-AC56U is neither as fast as other, more upmarket offerings, nor is the build quality really worth mentioning.
D-Link AC3200 Router triband router comes with a unique design and seems to be inspired by a sci-fi theme. After a long wait, D-Link has created a truly attractive premium device that performs twice as good as it looks.
It is Ideal for almost all gaming requirements as well as anyone with heavy usage like media sharing and streaming on multiple devices at the same time and technical specifications are also great.
It has the looks of a mini-drone but is loaded with all the features that are commonly seen in premium routers in the market today. As if that’s not enough, it also comes with a DD-WRT compatibility which further extends the device’s functionality and gives unlimited options to increase the range, speed, network security and much more. Also a better option for streaming videos. This D-Link is a fully lightning fast device.
If you are looking for a truly attractive router with all the features that you can think of, this one could be your choice – the best high range dd-wrt router. We have dlink ac5300 ultra router an another option for larger homes. see install guide here.
- 6 Beamforming external antennas deliver more bandwidth than you will ever need, even when sharing the router with many other users.
- Three wireless bands for different kinds of content.
- Extreme range.
- 1GHz Dual Core Processor.
- USB 3.0
The D-Link AC3200 is an extreme and one of the best routers to buy. From its off-the-charts price of $220 to the six antennas mounted on the sides of its heptagonal chassis, everything about the AC3200 screams “the best you can get”. You have full control on IPs as well. You can block any ip address with an easy setup.
While that can’t be disputed as the D-Link’s performance speaks for itself, routers with similar design and functionality are available at a much lower price.
Some Advantages of DD-WRT Routers
- Qos: Also known as Quality of Service in network devices, it is a standard or mechanism that makes sure that the prioritized task, application or users get the most out of their computer’s resources like bandwidth and transfer speeds. This feature is programmed to keep resources ready for the prioritized user and for tasks considered more critical than some others.
- Nas: This feature is called Network Attached Storage and is a useful feature that lets users connect any media storage device to the router and share or stream it over the home network.
- Network Printer: DD-WRT Routers have extended capability to share printers over the network. Users can attach a wired printer through the USB port and all the devices on the network are able to use it.
- DNS Caching: This is a rather premium feature that is available mostly with high-end business routers, however, it can be unlocked on a DD-WRT router. It basically speeds up the DNS lookup by keeping the data of the most visited websites in the router’s DNS cache.
- Wireless Bridging: A wireless bridge is when two wired networks are connected over the Wi-Fi, this bridge works like a client by logging into the main router to obtain web connectivity. The bridge can then share the connection from the LAN ports without creating a heavy load on the main router.
- Advance Performance Graphs: If you have a DD-WRT FlashRouter then this feature will give you a comprehensive breakdown of all the network usage and activity through detailed statistics and charts
- Adjust Antenna Power: This is another performance tweak that the user can enjoy with a DD-WRT compatible router. It enables the user to adjust the antennas’ power to further extend the range of the wireless network.
- VPN: This is the functionality that allows a DD-WRT router to create a secured connection over a public network. With the help of this feature, businesses can give secured remote access to the business network from any public network.
- Kai Daemon: This is a feature that enables network tunneling for multiple devices and consoles to access the Xling Kai Game Platform, which is one the most popular open-source gaming platforms that connect players from various consoles.
- AD-Blocking: You may be familiar with ad-blockers which are used in browsers, these are similar scripts made for your routers. A DD-WRT will let you install this script on your hardware and get rid of annoying ads.
- Analytics Tweaking: The DD-WRT firmware gives comprehensive reports about the network’s performance and the bandwidth usage using charts and statistics. If you are an advanced user, these reports would help you a lot in pinpointing bugs and testing new applications. And since it is an open source firmware there will be constant improvement and advancements in terms of features.
- Wi-Fi Hotspot Management: Having a DD-WRT router enables the users to install additional software to help with tasks like hotspot management. There is quite a few software which can be loaded on to a DD-WRT router to benefit from its extended functionality.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does DD-WRT feature any support for OpenVPN or PPTP?
Yes, DD-WRT supports both of these solutions. Using OpenVPN and PPTP, you can log into VPNs (Virtual Private Networks) and encrypt your connection, securing your privacy, identity, and personal information when using the internet.
If I upgrade my router to DD-WRT, will my internet get faster?
If you set it up correctly, yes, DD-WRT and the advanced settings and functions associated with it can enable you to improve your internet connection speed.
Is there anything I should know about the process of installing DD-WRT firmware?
You can learn about the installation procedure for your specific router on the aforementioned database at dd-wrt.com. This differs from device to device, but generally speaking, you will need to download a software package, “flash” your router and then install it in a certain, model-specific way in order to properly add a DD-WRT capability to your machine.
What are the benefits of a DD-WRT router?
DD-WRT firmware gives you more control over your router’s settings and features when compared to manufacturers’ default software. This ranges from VPNs to adjustable antenna power, VLAN (Virtual LAN), unique SSID creation
What routers have ddwrt vpn support?
Renting a modem/router device is always possible, usually directly via the ISP. However, we advise against renting your modem router as most, if not all, rented devices on the market right now are particularly slow and outdated models.
In conclusion, we can only recommend getting one of the above routers which have been handpicked from among the best DD-WRT Routers. Using this firmware model is not only incredibly beneficial, Thanks to the guidelines and explanations provided above—foolishly simple.
If you want a cost-efficient and compact choice, both TP-LINK and ASUS have something to offer. If you’re only looking for the best of the best, D-LINK would want a word with you. The market for high-end DD-WRT Routers isn’t very large, which fortunately means it isn’t very saturated either.
Thus, choosing the best router that suits your needs is much easier than what you might be used to, from previous gadget purchases. So, what are you waiting for? Go get a DD-WRT-compatible router and enjoy a freer, faster and more secure internet experience!