Best COX Approved Cable Modem for 2018 | Top List
Sometimes clients are not satisfied with the quality of service they get from Cox due to varying factors that affect connectivity. Most of the times, the problem is with the internet speed.
The quality and speed of internet is attributed to Internet Service Provider (ISP), but in the case of Cox, the problem mostly lies with the cable modem that customers use.
As a solution to this problem, you are advised to conduct some research to establish the most compatible modem than can work with your Cox network to provide you with faster connection.
Here are our top choices for the 5 Best Cox Approved Cable Modems according to there features and Customer’s Ratings.
#1ARRIS SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (SB6121)
| ||Internet speeds based on your Cable providers service - up to 172 Mbps download and 131 Mbps upload. 4 Download and 4 Upload Channels.|
Compatible with Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more.
2 – Gigabit Ethernet Ports – 10/100/1000 Mbps with Wi-Fi beamforming – max coverage & performance.
#2ARRIS SURFboard SBG6580-2 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
| ||N600 (2.4Ghz N300 + 5Ghz N300) WiFi Router with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports. Best for residential homes under 2,500 sq. ft. in moderate populations.|
8 DOWNLOAD and 4 UPLOAD Channels. Best on Cable Internet Plans of 100 Mbps and below. Supports both IPv4 and IPv6
Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more. Requires Cable Internet Service
#3Cisco DPC3010 DOCSIS 3.0 8x4 Cable Modem
| ||DOCSIS 3.0 Certified with speeds capable of up to 343Mbps down and 120Mbps upstream.|
10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet port to connect with router or computer; Form Factor: External.
Designed to meet DOCSIS 3.0 specifications as well as backward compatibility with existing DOCSIS 2.0, 1.1 and 1.0 networks.
#4Linksys DOCSIS 3.0 16x4 Cable Modem (CM3016)
| ||Experience high-speed Wi-Fi speeds from your existing ISP plans up to 250 Mbps. Ideal for HD media streaming, simultaneous online gaming, web surfing and more.|
Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more. Requires Cable Internet Service.
Ideal for Internet service plans of up to 250 Mbps*
#5Zoom 343 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 8X4 Cable Modem (Model 5341J)
| ||Fast Internet! Up to 343 Mbps downstream and 143 Mbps upstream. Fast Ethernet port! 10/100/1000 Mbps.|
Includes advanced networking capability including IPv4 and IPv6 for powerful, flexible network addressing.
Small, attractive cable modem can lie flat or stand up using the stand provided.
In the market today, there are new brands of modems that are compatible with Cox. Among them are those that have gained popularity as the modems for cox .
With these, you will get a faster connection as promised by your service provider. Cox offers you a wide range of internet packages through bundle services, hence you can always choose which one best suits your budget plans. Here are some of the best modem for cox you might want to consider:
The ARRIS SURFboard SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem is a wired modem and does not come with Wi-Fi router or an adapter for VoIP Telephone. It has an Ethernet Port that allows you to connect to a computer for faster downloads. Its speed is highly dependent on the cable provider service.
When properly connected can give you download speed of up to 172 Mbps and 131 Mbps upload speed. With such amazing speed, you can enjoy your video games or live streaming without losing connection.
This modem is compatible with Cox, Comcast, Bright House Networks and Time Warner service providers. It may however not work well with Verizon FiOS and At&TU versions.
Before you use it however, call your service provider to confirm if your device is compatible with cable internet service as this is what the SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem is powered on.
- DOCSIS 3.0 for great up- and downstream transfer rates.
- IPv6 support.
- ASUSWRT graphical user interface.
- Compatible with Cox, Comcast, Bright House and Time Warner.
This modem is designed to give you value for your money. It comes in a 3-in-1 package that contains a cable modem, 4 Port Gigabit Router and N600 Dual band Wi-Fi connectivity.
The modem is cable internet service enabled, and has been approved for use with Cox, Time Warner, Xfinity, Comcast, Mediacom and Bright house Networks, among other Cable Internet Providers who have plans not less than 100 Mbps. Networks such as Centurylink and Verizon will not work very well with this modem.
The package comes with N600 WiFi Router and has 4 Gigabit Ethernet Ports. You are warned to be vigilant not to be conned with the Brown Box models of this modem as they are no longer valid.
- Twice as fast as the SB6121 version at the same price.
- Doubles as a router.
- DOCSIS 3.0 and IPv6 support.
- Most regional cable providers with plans 100Mbps and up are supported.
The Cisco DPC3010 DOCSIS 3.0 8×4 Cable Modem has been tested and found to be compatible with most cable internet providers like Suddenlink, Comcast, WOW, Cox and Charter among other providers.
In comparison with other modems, its speed is relatively faster if the connection from the cable provider is at its peak. You can enjoy download speeds in excess of 320 Mbps and upload speed of 120 Mbps.
This speed is up to eight times faster than what is available from single channel DOCSIS 2.0 modems that are cable enabled. It is designed to work best with DOCSIS 3.0 models, offering you high speed connectivity.
A newer version of the Cisco DPC3010 DOCSIS 3.0 8×4 Cable Modem is the Linksys High Speed DOCSIS 3.0 Cable modem. It has been approved for use with providers like Warner, Charter, Cox, Comcast and Xfinity.
If you are looking for a cost-effective solution to internet connectivity, look no further as this is the model that will best suit you.
- DOCSIS 3.0 capability.
- Highly affordable.
- Compact, space-saving design.
- Large list of supported ISPs.
- 8 Download and 4 Upload channels.
Although this modem does not come with telephone and voice ports, the service you will get from its connectivity is all reason to consider buying it for use with your Cox enabled device. The Linksys DOCSIS 3.0 16×4 Cable Modem (CM3016) gives you the luxury of high-speed connectivity, boosting your already existing ISP plans.
Download speeds can be as good as 250 Mbps, which make the modem ideal for web surfing, media streaming and online gaming. The modem can withstand high bandwidth transfer rates, with minimal loss of connectivity.
This is enhanced by the Intel Puma 6 feature that serves to increase both download and upload speed performance. Most of the major cable internet providers have approved use of this model.
- Exceptionally high speed thanks to 16 Download channels and 4 Upload channels.
- Simple and easy-to-use.
- Price-to-performance ratio is excellent.
If you are looking for fast yet cost effective internet connection, do not search any longer as the solution lies with Zoom 343 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 8X4 Cable Modem (Model 5341J). Among the best top 5 modems, it is the only one with internet speed of over 325 Mbps downstream and over 140 Mbps upstream.
The fast Ethernet port can be connected to Home Plug adapter, router, wireless access point, Windows or Macintosh computers. It only functions as a modem and supports all DOCSIS cable modem standards.
One special feature of this modem is that it comes with advanced networking capability of IPv4/6 for flexible and powerful network addressing.
The package comes with Ethernet Cable, energy saving power cube than can be switched on and off and also with a modem stand. It has been approved for use with all major network providers.
- Compact and minimalist styling.
- 8×4 channel setup promises great speeds.
- DOCSIS 3.0 and IPv6 support.
- Can be used horizontally or vertically.
- Above average ISP support.
What to Look for Before Choosing a Modem for Cox Network.
When you buy a modem to enhance the use of Cox network, there are factors which you should consider so that you do not end up at a worse situation than you initially were without the modem. The most crucial factors to look into are.
- Technology: All network providers strive to upgrade to new versions of both hardware and software responsible for provision of internet connectivity.Always remember that the quality of connectivity as well as the speed of you internet rely on the DOCSIS version of your equipment. The industry is currently at DOCSIS 3.0 and if you have an older version modem, you can upgrade it to newer versions.
- Modem Compatibility: Not every modem you buy will be compatible with Cox. If you are not sure about compatibility of a modem with your ISP, you can always call the service provider to find out before committing your money into buying the modem.
- Purchase Options: Where you purchase your modem from also should be a matter of consideration. Sometimes due to financial constraints, the idea of buying a modem from a yard sale or from another person may seem ideal.Keep in mind that old, used modems may be faulty and could give you a hard time connecting. If previously associated with an existing Cox account, you may not be able to use them.Always strive to invest in equipment that will give you the comfort and convenience you are looking for. Remember that a new device also comes with a warranty, which protects you from losses in case it fails to perform as expected.
The Better Option for Internet Connection Between Renting And Buying a Modem
A modem is a necessity when it comes to the access of cable Internet service. There’re two options to consider in the acquisition of a modem; renting or buying one. However, it is beyond doubt that purchasing a modem is a better choice as compared renting. Let’s see some reasons behind that position.
- Long-run cost effectiveness: IIf you have a rental modem from your internet service provider, you’ll realize that the ISP bills you certain amount of money in the form of modem rental fee.For instance, Comcast charges $10 every month to each user who rents their modem. On the other hand, you can buy a modem that’s compatible with your ISP at a pocket-friendly price, say $50, and forgo the monthly charges.The money that you would have otherwise used to rent a modem for five months is sufficient to get your own modem.
- Cost certainty: Modem rental fees keep on changing depending on the decisions of internet service providers. However, when you buy a modem, you are certain that you won’t incur any other cost in addition to the acquisition cost.
- Maximizing the value of internet services: Some rental modems may have a negative influence on internet connectivity. The issue can be disappointing, considering that you’ll eventually pay for modem rental fees. On the other hand, buying a modem that is most compatible with your ISP will help you avoid such problems.
- Easy to switch ISPs: A rental modem limits you to a specific internet service provider. However, with your own cable modem, you can switch from one provider to another as long as it is compatible them.
Another internet connection option: Purchasing a cable modem/router combo
- Cox is one of the largest ISPs in the US, but sometimes there are factors that affect the speed and quality of connections. As highlighted in the article, when buying a modem to solve connectivity issues, give a thought to the make and model of the device, its reliability and efficiency which you can find in customer reviews and most importantly, ensure that it is compliant with the DOCSIS 3.0 technology. We at Cox continue to be at your service.