Best Cable Modem for Comcast That Allows You Save $150 Per Year In Rental Fees For The Year 2018
Cable Modem for Comcast? Being the biggest cable operator in the United States of America, most people prefer Comcast to other companies for internet service provision. Comcast has for a long time boasted about the ultra efficiency and superb quality of its services.
However, the majority of the customers of the Internet service provider are usually dissatisfied with the cable modem that they get as a component of the subscription package.
Comcast has realized this and has suggested a list of Comcast compatible modems that their customers can use to substitute with what is found out of the box.
Therefore, it is paramount to know about the genuine modem for Comcast User as indicated by the internet service provider.
Here are 6 Best Cable Modems For Comcast Xfinity:
Why You Should Bank on us
- Before joining The Pickmyrouter, Peter Todd spent almost six years writing about hardware, software, and every other facet of technology.
- Johnson Sams has spent four years covering consumer technology and news for popular sites. He spent two years as a networking expert, where he tested everything from computer cases to network-attached storage in his decade-plus career as a tech journalist before that.
- Read more on How To Log Into Comcast Modem?, “why is my Comcast internet so slow all of a sudden” from our other guide
List of Approved Modem & Routers: The Comparison Table
|Adapter's Name||Image||Features||Check Now!|
ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
| ||8 Download Channels and 4 Upload Channels capable of up to 343 Mbps download and 131 upload speeds. Recommended for Internet Plans up to 100 Mbps.|
Wired modem only. Does not include WiFi router or VOIP Telephone adapter. Gigabit Etherent port to connect to PC or Router.
Approved on Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum (Charter, Time Warner, Brighthouse Networks), Cox, Mediacom, Suddenlink and most other US Cable Internet Providers.
Linksys High Speed DOCSIS 3.0 24x8 Cable Modem
| ||Experience high-speed Wi-Fi speeds from your existing ISP plans up to 300 Mbps. Ideal for HD media streaming, simultaneous online gaming, web surfing and more|
Features Intel Puma 6 chipset to achieve high-speed downstream and upstream performance.
Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more. Requires Cable Internet Service
ARRIS SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (SB6121)
| ||2 – Gigabit Ethernet Ports – 10/100/1000 Mbps and 2.4/5.0 Ghz Dual-band concurrent.|
Internet speeds based on your Cable providers service - up to 172 Mbps download and 131 Mbps upload. 4 Download and 4 Upload Channels.
802.11ac W-Fi speeds up to 1600 Mbps with Wi-Fi beamforming – max coverage & performance
Motorola 16x4 Cable Modem Model MB7420 686 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0
| ||This 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem provides speeds up to 686 Mbps, sixteen times faster than DOCSIS 2.0. A Full-Band Capture digital tuner ensures a faster, more reliable Internet.|
Setup is fast and easy with a few quick steps set out in a Quick Start guide. Experienced USA-based customer support specialists are there to help if you need them.
NETGEAR CM600 (24x8) DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
| ||Support Cable Internet Service plans up to 300Mbps. Separate router required for WiFi. 24x8 channel bonding.|
Compatible with Xfinity from Comcast, Spectrum, Cox, CableONE & more/
DOCSIS 3.0 up to 24x faster download speeds than DOCSIS 2.0
Why You Buy Modem for Comcast and Save $150 Per Year
Although as a new Comcast subscriber you will get a cable modem in the subscription package and of course pay monthly rental fees for it, it is more efficient and economical to buy a new cable modem to substitute the out-of-the-box one.
Comcast has various internet subscriptions which are meant to offer fast internet speeds. However, that doesn’t happen practically, and you as a customer can be frustrated by the slow connections. The ISP isn’t to blame for these issues but rather the modem that you are using.
To solve this, you need to buy a new faster cable modem that will be compatible with Comcast.
Choosing the right routers for the Comcast Xfinity is a prerequisite as it boosts the performance of your internet. You are sure to procure better and faster download speed as you find the right modem for Comcast.
You can be ensured that there will be no intermittent slow periods anymore. Keep reading this article for knowing the reviews of the modem for Comcast:
The ARRIS SURFboards have earned a high reputation in the present days as they help in saving an ample amount of money of the customers. They have become the prime choice of customers owing to the ultra-fast download speeds. Equipped with DOCSIS 3.0 power, this modem offers channel bonding of almost 16 downstream channels.
You are going to enjoy online gaming and HD video streaming to a whole different level by choosing these cable modems. If you are familiar with experiences such as finding Comcast internet so slow all of a sudden, it is time to get the ultra speed with the aid of these modems.
- 4 upload and 16 download channels.
- Download speed of 686 Mbps and upload speed of 131 Mbps.
- Gigabit Ethernet port for connection with router and computers.
- Excellent choice for streaming High definition videos.
- Suitable for playing games on different devices.
- Comes with the warranty of 2 years.
If you are looking for a modem that offers an internet experienced at superfast broadband speed, you can opt for this product. You are sure to get the ultimate experience of working, downloading, gaming, HD video streaming in an effective manner by choosing this modem.
By supporting IPv4 and IPv6, ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 is compatible with most of the largest cable providers in the United States. Depending on the provider of your cable internet service, the cable gives you an opportunity to enjoy excellently fast download Wi-Fi and upload speeds to a maximum of 343 Mbps and 131 Mbps respectively, thanks to its DOCSIS 3.0 and 802.11ac technologies.
The beamforming utilized by this modem allows you to stream your favorite videos and play online games from any area of your home at ultrafast speeds. Use the cable’s pre-set Wi-Fi security to secure your network from malicious intrusion.
- Depending on your Internet service provider Arris Surfboard ensures that you enjoy fast download and upload speeds of up to 343 Mbps for downloads and 131 Mbps for uploads.
- It can work with a wide range of internet service providers such as COX TWC and Comcast.
- It has a straightforward installation process. Therefore, you must not be a techie to set up Arris Surfboard modem.
- Has pre-configured Wi-Fi security to ensure that your network is free from malicious unauthorized access.
Arris Surfboard has supersonic speed. This enables the user to perform online tasks without experiencing low connectivity. It is recommendable to users who perform multiple tasks on the internet because of its multiple channels. However, its lack of power button is a disadvantage to some users.
Linksys DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem has added more fun to the playing of online games, streaming HD videos and surfing the web, because of its incredibly fast Wi-Fi speeds up to a maximum of 300Mbps. You can use the modem on all main providers of cable services due to its wide-range compatibility.
Therefore, with this modem, you will save some bucks that you would have otherwise used for modem monthly rental fees. Replacing your old modem with Linksys DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem is a piece of cake since its setup process is incredibly easy. Besides, the modem comes with a comprehensive and easy startup guide.
- It works with all main cable providers.
- With high WI-FI speeds of up to 300 Mbps, it enhances fast downloads.
- It is a 24×8 cable modem that delivers stable internet connectivity hence reducing internet congestion. Additionally, the user can enjoy simultaneous live media streaming as well as web browsing.
- It is easy to setup because there is no CD required.
With a supersonic speed of up to 300 Mbps, Linksys CM3024 is ideal for high bandwidth transfer rates which make it be a good option for heavy downloads, video streaming, and online gaming. However, its lack of a back battery can lead to a setback in case of a power failure.
Connect ARRIS SURFboard SB6121 Cable Modem to your computer or router using Gigabit Ethernet port. Then, download what you need on the Internet at unbelievably high speeds of up to 172 Mbps. You will finish uploading a file within a brief time over the modem’s four upload channels at speeds up to 131 Mbps.
The router offers you one of a kind online gaming and video streaming experience. No more dead spots in your network area; you will be able to access fast internet connections everywhere within your network. This modem matches all the main cable service providers such as Comcast among others.
- It is compatible with primary U.S cable providers like Time Warner, Mediacom, and Cox.
- It has download speeds of up to 172 Mbps download and 131 Mbps upload. This makes it possible for online streaming and gaming.
- It has 4×4 channels that reduce internet congestion. This means that it offers reliable internet access.
ARRIS SB6121 is compatible with major cable providers. This makes it be compatible with major US Internet providers. With 4×4 channels, online video streaming is an effortless affair. Besides, these numerous channels reduce internet congestion.
However, it lacks a wireless router prompting the need to buy a router and a modem separately, hence additional costs.
Enjoy reliable and fast internet connections with speeds up to 686 Mbps, thanks to Motorola 16×4 Cable Modem, Model MB7420. The modem has an Ethernet port that allows you to connect your TV, wireless modem as well as play station to your cable network.
Once you get this modem, you won’t break your back while trying to use it since its set up process is extremely easy and it is well described in a simple, quick start guide.
The compact shape is something about this modem that should excite you mainly if you have limited space in your house and you fear that a large-sized modem can fall off due to congestion. Besides, this modem has an alluring design that will most probably match your interior décor.
- It enhances reliable and fast internet with speeds of up to 686 Mbps. This allows the user to take shortest time possible to perform tasks on the internet.
- It has an Ethernet port that allows internet connection to your TV, play station as well as WI-FI connection.
- It has 16 download channels and 4 upload channels which make internet fast and reliable.
Motorola MB7420 has multiple advantages among them being its reliability, fast internet and provision of multiple services to the user. This makes Motorola MB7420 the first choice for any internet user as a result of its advantages over other types of modem. However, this model lacks inbuilt a wireless router, and the user may be forced to buy the router in a separate package
With maximum cable internet speeds of 960Mbps, CM600 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem ensures that you enjoy quick and high-end streaming of HD videos, lightening-speed downloads, and ultra-fast online games.
Its set up process includes very easy-to-understand user web interface which helps you have the modem operating within a short time without having to call the support team for assistance.
The dual-band technology of the modem offers you constant internet connections throughout your home. The modem’s USB port allows you to connect your printer or storage device to your network. Additionally, you can control the access to your network by setting up a guest network for some of your users.
- It is compatible with the most internet service provider. This enhances flexibility while choosing your ISP.
- NETGEAR CM600 manages network congestion as well. This means that it is capable of accommodating the performance of multiple tasks online without experiencing internet connection snags.
- It ensures a high internet speed for ultra-fast downloads, among other online tasks.
- The USB port in the modem allows the user to connect their printers or storage device to their network.
NETGEAR CM600 is unique in that it has a port that allows the user to connect his/her printer or storage device to his/her network. It is a lightning-fast speed modem. And its set up process is easy and simple saving the user time to call for assistance from customer care.
The Facts You Know Before Buying
- After spotting a cable modem to purchase, you need to confirm if it is going to offer you the value that you are looking for. You should consider the following before you part with your cash:
- Compatibility with your cable provider: Not all modems work with all cable providers. It can be frustrating to buy one only to find that it isn’t compatible with your ISP. Therefore, it is paramount to check whether the modem appears in the ISP’s list of the compatible modems before you make a purchase.
- If the provider doesn’t have the list, get relevant information from customer forums or enquire it from the customer care representative.
- Speed: With fast a fast modem and fast cable Internet plan, you will be able to enjoy fast internet connection speeds. You can know how fast a modem is by confirming whether the modem utilizes DOCSIS 3.0 technology, which helps cable modems offer high internet speeds.
- Reliability and efficiency: It is vital not to rely only on the modem’s approval by Comcast. Seek to find further information from the relevant customer reviews about the reliability and efficiency of the modem.
- Standards Compliance: This refers to the technology used by ISPs to communicate to devices in their networks. Nowadays, most ISPs use Docsis 3.0 which is a newer version of Docsis 2.0 to provide super-fast internet speeds.
- Also, due to the increasing number of devices accessing the internet, ISPs have moved from IPV4 to IPV6 (Internet Protocol Version 6). The reason is that IPV6 allows more data transmission within a network and also more devices to connect to the network than IPV4.
- All cable modems are compliant with certain standards whether it is Docsis 2.0 or 3.0. You should, therefore, ensure that your cable modem is compliant with DOCSIS 3.0 standard if you want to enjoy the fastest internet speeds.
- Design: Cable modems are supposed to be functional so when it comes to their design, the simpler the design the better. The ports should be well-spaced to provide ample space for cables to attach and detach without interfering with other connections.
- If the router is designed with ventilation holes, always leave the holes open for better cooling.
- Wireless Standard: The codes you see on your router such as 802.11/a/b/g/n/ac/ad are known as the wireless standard (or protocol).They are used to rate the data transfer speed and range of routers. Here is what Most wireless standard is capable of;
- I. 802.11n – supports speeds up to 450 Mbps
- II. 802.11ac – supports speeds up to 1.3 Gbps.
- III. 802.11ad – supports speeds up to 4.6 Gbps
- Wireless 802.11ac is the most used standard today. However, wireless 802.11ad is the newest and is 4 times faster than the 802.11ac standard.
- Range: If you own a standard-sized home, most modern routers will cover your entire home without a problem. However, if your home is large, a single router will not cover your entire home. You will need to purchase long-range wireless routers or Wi-Fi extenders to extend your Wi-Fi range.
- Heat: All modems and routers get hot when in use and more so when overworked. In fact, manufacturers state that modems can operate at temperatures of up to 104 degrees Fahrenheit when overworked.
- To prevent them from overheating, always place them in open space and ensure their ventilation holes are kept open always.
- Advanced Features: Here are some key features you should look out for if you want to enhance your internet experience at home.
- A. Quality of Service (QoS): The QoS feature acts as a manager where it prioritizes devices on your home network and allocates more bandwidth to them.
- For instance, if your work is based at home, you can configure your network to prioritize the devices in your office than your kids’ phones or tablets. This will ensure that your work is not interrupted by your kids’ online gaming or video streaming.
- B. MU-MIMO: In full, MU-MIMO is multi-user, multiple-input-multiple-output. It allows the router to connect and communicate with multiple devices in its network more efficiently. This technology is extremely helpful in a business setting where you have a lot of people connecting to your network.
- Mu-mimo technology ensures that the speed of your internet remains constant even when many users are connected to your network.
- C. Beamforming: Beamforming technology is a clever piece of technology used in wireless routers to make their wireless signals more efficient. This feature focuses a router’s wireless signals towards the direction of the wireless devices rather than sending out signals aimlessly in every direction. This increases the range of connection and makes the connections stronger.
- Future-proofing: Future-proofing is buying the latest modem with next-gen technology with the hope that you’ll enjoy the best and fastest internet speeds when ISPs roll out the next technology in their cable services.
- It is good thinking but hard to implement as there are many variables such as your location, your ISP and the workings of the technology.
- In short, future-proofing might work out well for you but there’s also a huge probability that you might waste money on a modem that might not work in the future.
- Warranty: There’s no expected lifetime for cable modems but a glimpse at forums dedicated to cable modems sheds light on what you can expect. Based on the forums these cable modems start to deteriorate at the seven-year mark.
- At this age, most modems start to overheat, shutting down suddenly and then restart automatically. Therefore, make sure that your modem has sufficient warranty.
- Price: That said, the higher the specs, the more the cable modem will cost. Therefore, let your needs guide you so that you buy the correctly specced modem. Most lower-priced modems are suitable for home use but if you are running a business with many employees, you can look at higher specced versions to support your business’ needs
- Reviews And Ratings: Reviews and ratings are a great way of finding out more about cable modems. You will get the benefit of getting expert opinions about certain modems and getting firsthand experience from users who own the modems. In most cases, ratings and reviews will help you determine if a certain modem is suitable for you but also beware of fake reviewers.
What about DOCSIS 3.1?
Docsis 3.1 is the next-gen internet standard for ISPs that provide cable internet. With this new standard, users will get data transfer speeds of up to 10 Mbps and enhanced download efficiency with better queue management for multiple downloads.
What’s more, Docsis 3.1 provides increased internet stability even at slow speeds. Even though Docsis 3.0 is capable of providing gigabit speed, its data transfer speed is rated at a maximum of 1 Gbps, which is 10 times slower than Docsis 3.1.
The good thing about the Docsis 3.1 standard for ISPs is that they can easily upgrade from DOCSIS 3.0 to 3.1 without having to change their cable infrastructure.
And since Docsis 3.1 is completely compatible with Docsis 3.0, subscribers with DOCSIS 3.0 modems won’t be obliged to purchase new modems but will get the option of upgrading to the new DOCSIS 3.1 modems if they want to enjoy the benefits of this new standard.
Reasons for Purchasing a Cable Modem Router Combo for Accessing the Internet Connection from Xfinity
You’ll most likely come across a modem/router set as you look for a modem for your network. The router/modem unit offers you an opportunity to buy a modem and a router in one box.
The two will function from the same table, performing their respective functions. You’ll undoubtedly like the fact that the combo has fewer wires, is easier to set up and has less clutter as compared to buying the two components independently.
It looks like a great idea, right? But, wait! In fact, given a chance, I would discourage you from buying this set. The major drawback of this unit is that you’ll have to replace the whole of it in case you need to upgrade your router.
On the other hand, improving an independent router is less costly and more comfortable as it won’t interfere with the functioning of your modem.
Buying of a Used Modem for Accessing Comcast Connection: Is it a good idea?
As much as it may seem to be a cheap option, don’t even think about buying a used modem for accessing Comcast internet connection.
There are high chances another Comcast user may have used a modem that’s not new, hence added to their accounts.
The other user may be from a different state from where you reside and their account is normally closed. However, the MAC address of the modem remains in their account.
Therefore, you won’t be able to delete the MAC address from the account, hence the inability to add it your account since the address is limited to a single account.
For that reason, you will have to take the used modem to a cable store of Comcast for its verification and addition to your Comcast account.
You shouldn’t continue paying high monthly modem bills while experiencing annoyingly slow cable internet connections. Get the value of your money and replace your slow modem with a one-time purchase fast modem that will make you forget about all your internet issues.
Choose the modem which is efficient and reliable, as well as the one that matches your cable internet plan and cable internet service provider.