Best Modems For Verizon Fios In 2020: Top 2 Reviewed
Today, we will discuss the best modems for Verizon Fios Internet Service Provider for 2020. There is no doubt that Verizon (ISP) is one of the biggest Internet Service providers in the US. In order to provide high internet to your home, it offers various internet plans through its Fios Service.
But the biggest problem is that they provide us a Verizon Compatible modem for those plans. Furthermore, we end up paying a monthly rental fee for the modem. That’s why we should go for buying our own modem that can support Verizon Fios service.
So what are the best modems for Verizon Fios Internet Service 2020?
1. Verizon Fios Home Modem/Router G3100 – Best Overall
- Wireless Technology: Wi-Fi 6 (802.11 ax)
- Bands: Tri-band (2.4Ghz ~ 11ax & 2x 5Ghz ~ 11ax 4×4)
- Antennas: 4×4 Internal
- Ports: 4 Gigabit LAN ( MoCA2.5 + LAN MoCA1.1 WAN)
- Compatibility: 802.11a/b/g/n
The G3100 is the latest Wi-Fi 6 supported Verizon Fios compatible modem/router. It is a tri-band (24.Ghz + 2x5Ghz) router, thus handle multiple devices at once and delivers a maximum WiFi speed of up to 3.1Gbps.
As aforementioned, it uses the latest wireless standard 802.11ax. Therefore, it can handle 4K UHD streaming and gaming easily. Moreover, it has 4×4 internal antennas to provide excellent coverage throughout your home.
Pros & Cons:
- It is quite easy to set up – Just plug it. Within a couple of minutes, it automatically updates the firmware and reboots several times.
- 4K Ultra-HD streaming and gaming is outstanding and allows large-sized files to be transferred.
- It doesn’t require you to call Verizon to activate the modem.
- It supports all the new Fios Ecosystems, such as TV one box.
- Without any manual efforts, it automatically switches between the bands.
I don’t like:
- No issues so far. However, the power adapter cord’s length might be an issue for some people. It is about 3 feet long.
I don’t think whether there is any better option you can find on the market when Verizon Fios ISP is concerned. It is a complete package; you don’t even have to think of buying a standalone router. If you are using the previous model G1100 (the second Verizon Fios modem on this list), you will see the huge speed difference up to 150%.
2. Verizon Fios Gateway (G1100) – Best Runner-up Verizon Fios Compatible Modems
- Compatible: Verizon Fios
- Supports both WAN & LAN networks
- Connectivity: Ethernet & Coaxial Cables
- Wireless Standard: 802.11ac
- Warranty: A 2-year manufacturer’s Warranty
Unlike the previous model, this model ‘G1100’ has dual-band capability. Where the modem uses its 2.4Ghz to deliver a maximum WiFi speed of up to 450Mbps, while 5.4Ghz band delivers up to 1300Mbps. In total, we get around 1.7Gbps maximum. It has a dual-core processor; thus, it can handle multiple devices at once. Moreover, it is an 802.11ac standard’s wireless router and supports older versions such as 802.11a/b/g/n.
The design of the modem is also quite sleek and stylish. It comes with a wide range of ports, including 4 Ethernet LAN ports, 1xWAN port, 1x MoCA coaxial port, and two USB ports.
Pros & Cons:
- There are so many essential input ports are available on the backside of the modem.
- It supports Beamforming technology that focuses the WiFi directly to the connected devices.
- The free app ‘android & iPhone’ called the My Fios app works perfectly.
- It is super-easy to set up and install, it can be completed in no time.
- You can create a separate guest network with secure WAP encryption.
- It is backed by a 2-years of warranty.
I don’t like:
- The port forwarding feature is a bit tricky.
It is a budget-friendly Verizon Fios modem for you. However, it is not as powerful as G3100, but it offers all the essential features at this price range. Moreover, this modem is quite easy and simple to set up and can be installed in no time.
Buying Guide: How To Find The Best Verizon Fios Modem?
There are many factors you should keep in mind, but here I am going to include only essentials ones so that you can make a smart choice as per your requirements. In addition to the guide, You’ll also see some FAQs down below.
The compatibility with your ISP is very important. That’s why I took this critical factor in the first position. You have to make sure that your desired modem is compatible and approved by your ISP or Verizon Fios. On the market, you’ll find tons of modems that claim to be compatible with Fios service – but they don’t. In addition to this, I recommend you to buy any one of the two mentioned fios modems.
Since the design of the modem is not an essential key factor to look for, but you should pay attention to it. In other words, no one wants a modem that looks weird and takes a lot of space on your desk. Therefore, you should definitely take a look at the size of a moded, and make sure you buy one that fits your desk or place where you intend to use.
The Speed of a modem is going to be very essential for you if you have any high-speed Internet plan from Fios service. In other words, you should check – what are the minimum speeds (upload & download) your modem should have in order to match your Internet plans.
There is no doubt that everyone should pick a product as per their needs. In order to make a smart deal, you first need to assess your requirements, then buy accordingly. However, featured-packed modems are expensive yet worth the money. For example, Verizon/Fios Home G3100. Despite being expensive, the modem is incredible looking and offers excellent features and advanced technologies.
A modem that comes with atleast a year-long warranty is acceptable. Other than that is not going to be good for us as the modem is an equipment that runs 24/7 365 days.
What is a Verizon Modem?
You can say – a modem, which is compatible with Verizon fios, is a ticket to the Internet service. It’s nothing but a modulation box. The box ‘modem’ transmits data over the Internet network. However, this is a ‘modem’ working process. Every modem works in this way, whether it is a Cox modem, Comcast xfinity modem, or any other ISP’s modem.
What’s the difference between a Verizon modem and a router?
Both pieces of equipment are essential when it comes to getting online. Let’s understand how a Verizon modem works? In order to bring the internet to your home, we connect a Verizon modem with the Fios Network, whereas A Verizon router broadcasts a wireless signal to your home. Thus, it allows multiple devices to work simultaneously.
Both of the listed Verizon fios modems are excellent. You can go for the one which suits your requirements. Comparatively, The G3100 is far better than G1100 in terms of design, overall performance, and features. However, you have to pay a bit more. On the other hand, G1100 is an excellent option for those who want a budget-friendly modem.
Once you buy a new modem, you will need to call Verizon to make sure whether your modem is recognized on your account or not, and then request them to remove the rental fee.