The 5 Best Cable Modems for 2018 | High-Speed Docsis 3.0 Modems
If you have ever used a cable connection, you probably know the gadget that provides connection to your device, the cable modem.
People never really care much about the device because after all, internet providers include whatever model they prefer as part of the setup.
However, they do not provide you that device out of the kindness of heart, they charge you for it every month!. So, why not consider buying your own cable modem?
We have discussed some of the most important features and benefits in an attempt to help you choose one that will best suit your internet connection needs.
Below we have listed some of the best cable modems we feel features unusual fast internet connection.
|Modem's Name||Image||Features||Check Now!|
#1ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
|8 Download Channels and 4 Upload Channels capable of up to 343 Mbps download and 131 upload speeds. Recommended for Internet Plans up to 100 Mbps.|
Approved on Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum (Charter, Time Warner, Brighthouse Networks), Cox, Mediacom, Suddenlink and most other US Cable Internet Providers. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T or Centurylink. REQUIRES Internet Service.
#2TP-Link DOCSIS 3.0 (16x4) High Speed Cable Modem
|Compatible with cable internet plans up to 300Mbps.|
Blazing performance – Up to 686Mbps download and 143Mbps upload speeds.
Faster overall throughput thanks to advanced 16x4 channel bonding
Nonstop entertainment – Enjoy seamless Lag-free HD streaming and online gaming.
#3ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
|Internet speeds up to 686 Mbps Download and 131 Mbps Upload based on your cable ISP subscription. Gigabit Ethernet port to connect to computer or router.|
Ideal for streaming HD Video and gaming on multiple devices at a time
Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more. Requires Cable Internet Service
#4Zoom 16x4 Cable Modem 686 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0
|This 16x4 cable modem has sixteen downstream channels (twice as many as 8X4 modems) and gives higher average download speeds than 4x4 or 8X4 modems.|
686 Mbps cable modem provides very fast Internet over cable by connecting modem’s 10-100-1000 Ethernet port to your computer or router.
Works with all US cable modem services including DOCSIS 3.0 and older 2.0 or 1.1 services
#5NETGEAR CM600 (24x8) DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
|Up to 960 Mbps download for streaming HD videos, faster downloads and high speed online gaming|
24 downstream & 8 upstream channels providing efficient and reliable Internet access
Works with U.S. cable Internet provider Comcast Xfinity & more (not compatible with Cable bundled voice services)
Why Buy a Cable Modem
ARRIS SB6142 is one of the many people’s favourite best cable modem you will come across more specifically because it’s versatile. You can easily switch between major internet providers and it supports the latest internet standards.
The ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 features a DOCSIS 3.0 technology, that bonds up to eight downstream channels and 4 upstream, allowing data for speeds of 343mbps down and up to 131 Mbs up, but of course that will depend on with your provider.It also comes with a different package speed and options including the modem and router combo.
TP-link is well known for its hardware performances and when it comes to the affordability of network devices, no company does better than they do. This model is no different; it is probably the most affordable only cable modem you will come across, compatible with internet plans for up to 300 Mbps and to different major ISP including Comcast, Cable vision as well as Time Warner Cable.
Unlike unfounded model, this one has a channel bonding of up to 16 downstream and 4 upstream providing data rates of up to 680 Mbps down and 143 Mbps Up.
ARRIS has remained the top contender when it comes to network equipment. The ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 cable modem is one of their wired modem only, compatible with almost all major internet provider for up to 300 Mbps plan.
Based on your Provider, internet speed is up to 690 Mbps download and 131 uploads and there is a Gigabit Ethernet port ton connect to a router. The ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 is DOCSIS 3.0, therefore, can handle 16 downstream and 4 upstream channels. It simply features great performance, not quite cheap as per say, but stable and easy to maintain.
There is quite a lot to like on the Zoom 16×4 Cable Modem, one being that you will get a two years warranty from Zoom telephonic. It supported by major providers like Comcast and Time Warner cable and other ISP. Zoom cable modem also offers incredible downstream and upstream (16 x4) internet speed.
Unlike most modem of its kind, It works with almost all modern services and with Windows, Mac as well as other Ethernet capable computers and routers. For the bargain hunter, this is the best bet,
NETGEAR CM600 might not be the cheapest option you will come across, but it is definitely the best, so if you have been waiting for a more robust modem capable of much higher speed then this should be your pick. With speeds up to 960 Mbps assuming you will subscribe to a better internet service which is more than enough to stream HD videos and play high-speed games.
It’s compatible with many US service providers more than any cable modem you will come across. Keep in mind the even though it is compatible with many providers, it won’t work with Cable-bundle voice service, which could be a problem with VoIP focused businesses.
What to know before buying a cable modem?
There is no doubt that buying your own cable modem has its advantages, but before you head on shopping, there are few things you might need to know.
- Make sure it works with your cable provider: Although almost every modem will work with almost all providers, there are those that can’t, so you need to know whether the modem you intent to buy will work with your network provider. They usually limit the number of products compatible with their services, thus you will find most of them with a list of cable modem they feel will work best with their services on their page.
- Speed: All cable modem will conform to certain standards, but that does not mean that they will deliver the same download speeds, so this is something to look at when choosing a modem. DOCSIS is the standard cable companies’ use and comes in different iterations, i.e., 1.0 x, 2.0 x, and 3.0 x.
- Docsis 3.0: Docsis 3.0 or higher means the best performance; they are capable of channel bonding enabling multiple downstream and upstream channel at the same time with the same user. The more channels your device can bond, the higher speed you can expect. Remember, though, the speed of the model won’t make internet connection faster, it all goes down to the Mbps that you buy.
- Ethernet port speed: If you have slow Ethernet port, there is no way your connection will be any faster even when you have the fastest router. Now, there are a lot of ways to choke points limiting the speed, and Ethernet cord is one of them. You will be lucky if your modem supports the Gigabit Ethernet port.
- Decide modem or cable modem router combo: You can decide to purchase a cable modem router combination and honestly a significant part of your network connection will be integrated. There are few wires, less clutter, and the setup is just simple, however, this option is expensive, since you will have to replace your entire device as well as buying new devices so you might want to consider upgrading your wireless router.
- You will probably note that all the five selected cable modems here share the same similarities, so choosing might seem quite easy, but the devil is in the details. You shouldn’t rush into buying a cable modem just because it’s affordable or you think it’s expensive enough to suit your needs. You need to check whether it’s compatible, know the speeds and possible failures then pick one that best suits your needs. Overall, you need to get the best device of your own, not a rental as it will save you a lot in the long-run.