ARRIS SURFboard AC1750 SVG2482AC | Review
The term router and modem are often interchangeably used since they provide PCs with an internet connection, but the two are not one and the same thing.
A modem’s major function is to relay internet signals from the service provider to your computer, usually through a router.
You can plug your modem into an internet service provider line via satellite, broadband, fiber or telephone wire.
A router, on the other hand, cannot be directly connected to the internet. A modem is needed to act as a bridge between the router and the internet. In other words, a router is connected at two ends – one to your private LAN and another to the internet.
It then shares the internet signal sent by the modem to multiple devices utilizing the same IP address.
Nowadays, routers and modems are available as a single combined unit, and ARRIS SURFboard AC1750 SVG2482AC as a good example of that.
Why You should Buy Your Own Cable Modem Router
ARRIS SURFboard AC1750 SVG2482AC Features and Benefits
The ARRIS SURFboard AC1750 SVG2482AC is a combo box that includes an advanced Wi-Fi router and a fast cable modem in a single box. Here are its most outstanding features:
- Meets the 802.11ac specification: This modem-router combo has the ability to attain very high speeds. It features Wi-Fi speeds of up to 1750 Mbps and download speeds of up to 1 Gbps. With this high speeds, you can be able to surf the internet and download your favorite music, movies and TV shows in a seamless manner.
- Docsis 3.0 cable: It features a Docsis 3.0 cable modem that is capable of reaching download speeds up to 1 Gbps. This ensures that your data rates are increased both upstream and downstream. The integration of this cable ensures uninterrupted HD streaming and gaming.
- Channel Bonding: The availability of 2 telephony (VOIP) ports allows for channel bonding, which effectively doubles the data transfer speeds. This unit features 24 download and 8 upload channels that are ideal for internet plans up to 1 Gbps.
- 4 Gigabit Ethernet Ports: The availability of 4 gigabit Ethernet ports allows for the connection of multiple devices and allows them to communicate via the switch function. The four ports are on the super majority of home routers, and they are more than enough for most home users.
- RDK-B Technology: ARRIS SURFboard AC1750 SVG2482AC is the first retail Wi-Fi modem-router combo to feature the RDK-B technology. This technology is basically an integrated open-source software that offers a common framework for users’ equipment such as gateways/routers/modems, set-top boxes and other devices to converse with internet service providers. This technology is beneficial in the sense that it allows ISPs to standard particular elements of these devices, allowing them to swiftly launch their own emerging services or customize applications.
- Optional Battery Backup: With this modem-router combo, you don’t have to worry about power outages, as it comes with an optional battery backup that is sold separately. It helps in placing and receiving voice calls when there’s no power.
What We Liked?
- Easy to setup and configure.
- Incredibly high Wi-Fi and download speeds.
- Allows for channel bonding.
- Sufficient and convenient Ethernet ports.
- RDK-B technology allows for easy upgrades.
- Optional battery backup overcomes power outage problem.
What We Didn’t?
- USB ports available are for powering USB devices and not for connecting USB storage.
- SURFboard modems have been setting the pace on the market, saving consumers some serious cash. The ARRIS SURFboard AC1750 SVG2482AC is not an exception in this as it comes with great features that put it on a competitive edge. If you are looking for the most ideal solution to catapult your XFINITY home network into a higher level, this is the modem-router combo to go for. The ease of set-up, high Wi-Fi and download speeds, integration of the RDK-B technology are among the features that make this device worth every dollar on its price tag.